• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RGB or RGY. What the hell?

This topic is 5123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My father is a painter and he should know such stuff. He says that the main colors, of which all the others are mixed are Red Green and Yellow (or maybe thats blue, not green. Don''t remmember now). He doesn''t know anything about computers, and he said that it can''t be RGB. ?

Advertisement
He probably does know his stuff. He would be dealing with subtractive primaries: Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow. Remember that pigments work by absorbing light and reflecting the rest.

Your computer works with additive primaries - Red, Green, Blue. You add them to produce your color - the opposite of what he does when mixing colors.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to have a "subtractive" monitor, or at least a monitor that used CMY... anyone up for speculation?

You''d need some sort of phosphors that absorbed light rather than emit it. If you could find such a material a CMY monitor might be possible.

A bubblejet monitor….

That squirts ink from behind a glass screen…..

And a very fast wiper to clear it for the next frame….

The main problem with CMY is the black. It is not as good as real black ink (apart from being a more expensive way to achieve the effect).

At 60MHz, there’s gonna be a lot of ink flying about…..

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.

• Advertisement