Trade offs of using GLUT?

Started by
4 comments, last by TechnoGoth 20 years ago
I''ve used GLUT and I''ve used windows and while GLut makes programs simipler and easier to setup, but I''ve had some problems with it on occasion. So I''m curious what if any are the tradeoffs for using it? Do I loose functionality, or suffer a performance loss that I wouldn''t by using windows and openGL? To my knowledge I can''t use any windows specific commands through glut since there is no windows handle to access them through, but then I know almost nothing of about programing with with windows. ----------------------------------------------------- Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
Advertisement
You can get a handle on the current rendering context using wglGetCurrentDC. You can use that like any HDC you''d use in windows programming.
doesn''t glut require a dll? glut.dll or something? if you have this then its no problem but when you distribute won''t you need to distribute the dll? and can you legaly do that?
I just wanna get this done.
quote:Original post by Malchivus
doesn''t glut require a dll? glut.dll or something? if you have this then its no problem but when you distribute won''t you need to distribute the dll? and can you legaly do that?

"GLUT for Win32 is Copyright 1997 by Nate Robins and is not in the
public domain, but it is freely distributable without licensing fees."

http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut/README-win32.txt

Hrm, I dunno... I personally use glut, so I guess it''s just preferrence, eh?

- CD

// Brought to you by Code_Dark
| [( Politics Forum Beta-Test )]
I have never used GLUT but I''ve read that theoretically GLUT has the big advantage of being multiplatform... it does the boring stuff for you and it does both under windows and X-window system.
Dunno bout Macs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement