Game design that will give you good experience

Started by
24 comments, last by tieTYT 20 years ago
I will be working on a game for 8 weeks in a class. It will be the first game i''ve ever attempted. I''ll be graduating after that, so i want to make the best of my time. Therefore, i would like to present this question to the forum: Now I don''t expect you to spoonfeed me with an entire game design, but just like employers looking to hire "programmers" are probably truly looking for something more specific such as C# programmers or Java programmers, i would expect people looking for "game programmers" are looking for something much more specific than just that. So what type of game could I make that would show potential employers that i would be worth while to hire (something as specific as a certain genre or something as general as 3D instead of 2D, for example)? Or/And what kind of feature could I add to my game that would make me seem worth while to hire (like some type of complex programming feature that game employers look for, ie: complex collision detection)? See, i''m just really worried that i''ll end up making a game that will be too simple and any technical employer that looks at it will think it does nothing to show any skill i may have. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I''d really value some advice and please keep in mind this is my first game attempt and i only have about 8 weeks. Thanks a lot
Advertisement
8 weeks and your first attempt? I Can''t think of anything that would get you hired with that. You best bet would to choose your favorite type of game and one that you''d want to develop. Look at what already has been done in those kinds of games and then focus on making a tech demo that showcase a particular technical feature that you''ve handled in an inovative way. You should be to explain to a potiential employer how exactly implemnting that feature in real game would improve the games appeal and or lower the overhead of using it instead of an existing feature.

But without knowning any of your technical skills or prior experince your question is essentially meaningly less.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
But without knowning any of your technical skills or prior experince your question is essentially meaningly less.

Ok, i have C, C++ and Java experience. I think i could pick up C# in a matter of days if i wanted to (i've already studied it a bit). I know a little php too. I've worked on an Oracle database before, but nothing really worth mentioning for that. I've taken a Graphics Theory class where i became as fluent in OpenGL as possible in 10 weeks. For my final project in my class i made a simple prototype of a level editor (you click on the square button, it makes a cube on the screen, you can move it on the screen with your mouse, rotate it in space, no big deal, but it did use ray-casting for collision detection with my mouse). Am i going into enough detail?

Now i have a lil question about your reply. You said, "showcase a particular technical feature that you've handled in an inovative way". Do you think this would be the way to go in comparison with making a simple game like (what i have been considering making) a Mike Tyson's Punch-Out clone and just trying to make it as complete a game as possible?

EDIT: Oh oh, something good to know (which you may have assumed) I'm going to be working on this project with a group of 4-5. That may affect your answer.

[edited by - tieTYT on April 14, 2004 2:29:05 AM]

[edited by - tieTYT on April 14, 2004 2:30:35 AM]
If your trying to get a job then a tech demo showcasing you abilites will carry far more weight then a clone of an older game.

How proficent are your math and openGL skills? Could you say create realtime water effects? lets say you have a river and the user can drop things in the river or reshape the banks and the rivers flow adapts in real time to the users changes? That also has realtime reflections?

How proficent are your math and openGL skills? Could you say create realtime water effects? lets say you have a river and the user can drop things in the river or reshape the banks and the rivers flow adapts in real time to the users changes? That also has realtime reflections?

Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades

No, i wouldn't say that i know how to do that My guess would be the first step to provide such an effect would be to use raytracing. That's all i can say about the subject.

Is it hopeless?

[edited by - tieTYT on April 14, 2004 3:03:44 AM]
Like I said in my first post, What is your favorite kind of game? What feature for it do you think you can do improve upon or do in an innovative way?

Like I said in my first post, What is your favorite kind of game? What feature for it do you think you can do improve upon or do in an innovative way?

My two favorite types of games are RPGs and 3D fighting games. Due to the fact that the only thing i''ve done with OpenGL that wasn''t basic would be collision detection and picking with a mouse, i think the only thing i could potentially even consider improving upon is collision detection. Maybe i could figure out a more efficient way to detect collision detection in a 3D fighter. I''d also really like to learn how to make a level editor, but i don''t even know what could be improved in the category or level editors so i worry that pursuing that option would not result in anything innovative. I''m not very interested in innovating something that is graphical (such as the example you just asked me). I don''t think that is my forte.
If your trying to get a job then a tech demo showcasing you abilites will carry far more weight then a clone of an older game.

I actually disagree with this quite a bit. If you write a hardware accelerated punch out clone, that would show alot more than a neat looking water demo. If you do something creative with this punch out demo (such as making it multiplayer) it would show by far more than a specialized demo. Completing a game is a tremendous work. The fun parts of development are writing the little demo's, effects and "tricks". Everybody is capable of this.

Completing an entire game shows you are well balanced in a number of areas and more importantly, that you have the will and ability to complete what you start. Many programmers are not capable of this. Don't try to impress your employer with an amazing new trick that will improve every game they ever release. Its not going to do much other than come off as pompous. You're going to start as a junior programmer and you will realize you know next to nothing (right now) after you've been working professionally for a few years.

Completing an entire game is the most important thing. Add candy afterwords. A dedicated developer with a strong desire to learn and complete what they begin is the much more attractive to a future employer than an entry level guy who thinks he knows enough to revolutionize said company's games, even though he has 0 years professional industry experience.

[edited by - haro on April 14, 2004 3:56:40 AM]
Well your going to face that fact that your propably not going to to be able to get a job in the gaming industry after graduation. You simply don''t have the experince required to be considered by a major company. You only alternative is to develop part time and then do a combination of self publishing and pitching the game to publishers.

So I would suggest do something that interestest you and that you can reuse later on in whatever you decided to work on next.

A level editor isn''t that challenging of project the real challenge is the engine that acutually does something with level file.

I made a 3d engine about 6 months ago it was very simple. Essentily the level was made up of a three dimensional array of cubes. you could walk, jump,crouch and walls and floors would stop your movement. The level editor for the program was paint and a program I wrote to convert bmp into map files.

Well your going to face that fact that your propably not going to to be able to get a job in the gaming industry after graduation. You simply don't have the experince required to be considered by a major company.

I am an undergraduate still and have had no trouble finding game development work. I actually decided to pass, however, since I want to continue going to school and learning on my own. It is noteworthy that I live in the 3rd largest area of the states for game development but I have noticed a decent number of entry/intern level positions available in a number of other places, particularly California.

EDIT: When I was job hunting previously, my only relevant 'graphical' demo was a 2d space shooter asteroids type game.

[edited by - haro on April 14, 2004 4:20:32 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement