Game design that will give you good experience

Started by
24 comments, last by tieTYT 20 years ago
quote:Original post by haro
His response was that a specialization is good, but a broad understanding is even more important especially for entry level guys. He suggested that a specific technology demo, as opposed to an entire game, might be a better idea. He seemed to imply this was because writing an entire game really just isn''t feasable for most people. The OP is in a unique position where writing an entire game is is feasable.

First of all, thanks a lot for asking. I can''t really express in words how sincere i am about that.

Second, about these statements: "a broad understanding is even more important especially for entry level guys" and "He suggested that a specific technology demo, as opposed to an entire game, might be a better idea". Aren''t these in direct contradiction with each other? Maybe i don''t understand the range of a technology demo: What came to my mind was the example technogoth presented. Wouldn''t that be the opposite of a broad understanding?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by tieTYT
Second, about these statements: "a broad understanding is even more important especially for entry level guys" and "He suggested that a specific technology demo, as opposed to an entire game, might be a better idea". Aren''t these in direct contradiction with each other? Maybe i don''t understand the range of a technology demo: What came to my mind was the example technogoth presented. Wouldn''t that be the opposite of a broad understanding?

Yup the two are mutually exclusive. It is important to have a "broad understanding", but it''s pretty hard to demonstrate such a broad understanding in the scope of one demo.

I recommend that you keep your demo specific & specialized; don''t use the demo to show off how broad your knowledge is. Just trust that other aspects of your interview will show off how broad your knowledge is- both your list of previous experience, and your performance on their programming tests will demonstrate it.

Of course, you need to HAVE the "broad understanding" in order to show it off.

Aye, but as I mentioned he seemed to imply that a tech demo would be a better idea not because it shows more about a person''s abilities, but because it is more practical. Most people do not have the resources ( art/time/etc ) to complete an entire game.
quote:Original post by haro
Aye, but as I mentioned he seemed to imply that a tech demo would be a better idea not because it shows more about a person's abilities, but because it is more practical. Most people do not have the resources ( art/time/etc ) to complete an entire game.

Ah i see. Well what if i could develop a whole game in my free time while i'm stuck with a typical non-gaming programming job. Now suppose it's complete, but it looks like a NES game (I mean looks like 8bit graphics and 2D), do you think something that "crappy" would still be preferable to a demo? Or do you think when he said a complete game he meant like... quake or something. Hehe, i like asking questions

[edited by - tieTYT on April 15, 2004 2:40:25 AM]
Ah i see. Well what if i could develop a whole game in my free time while i''m stuck with a typical non-gaming programming job. Now suppose it''s complete, but it looks like a NES game (I mean looks like 8bit graphics and 2D), do you think something that "crappy" would still be preferable to a demo? Or do you think when he said a complete game he meant like... quake or something. Hehe, i like asking questions

I think 3D was implied. A strong background in math and physics was also recommended. Its alot easier to show this background in 3D.
Sorry if I steal this thread. I have a game design doc, that I have been working on. It isn''t as complete as it will be, but it is a start. It is a Sci-Fi Board game that doesn''t yet have a name.

http://www.yeoldegamers.com/download/Boarddesign.doc

My question is: Is this design a good design for a beginning team of programmers/designers? Do you think we can handle it? (this will be our first project)PM me if you have troubles viewing the doc. Also, I welcome criticism on my design doc. (just remember that I know I need to rewrite the AI section)

"The fell winds blow,
The darkness grows,
And I, I stand alone."
"The fell winds blow,The darkness grows,And I, I stand alone."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement