• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

petewood

Goodbye

This topic is 5236 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It's time for me to move on. I just wanted to make it explicit that I was going rather than just disappearing and it will probably make it easier for me too. I've enjoyed being here and helping people for the last few years. I got into some arguments, have been rude and often curt and I'm sorry if that has been wrong. I've tried to point people towards good information, to correct myself if I find I have been wrong, to encourage people who are genuinely struggling and to give a kick in the pants to people who are being lazy. I've found that I have spent far too much time here instead of working. This is due to a lack of discipline, task avoidance, difficult work and many things that I can use as excuses. My work and home life are suffering and it is time for me to stop. I'm trying to work through various issues in my life, we have a baby on the way, I'm dealing with addictions, I've got non-computer projects which I feel have a higher priority for me, such as speaking at church, leading a small group of people in their life journeys, finding appropriate ways of worshipping God in a diverse group of people, running a film club exploring the search for meaning of life in films, building community and working on difficult relationships and sticking at them. But being here is quite addictive to me and takes up a lot of time and energy, so I'm going to have to say goodbye. So before I go I want to leave some links to what I feel are good information sources, some book suggestions and other bits and pieces. This isn't exhaustive but I should be working so I'm going to keep this short. Many frequently asked questions about C++ are already answered on Bjarne Stroustrup's website (the creator of C++) and also on the C++ FAQ Lite which is a response to the questions asked on comp.lang.c++ There are many articles about how to improve in the detail and extent of your understanding of C++ on Herb Sutter's website. He runs the Guru of the Week series which is a response to the discussions on comp.lang.c++.moderated. He has also written many articles for publications such as the C/C++ User's Journal which I thoroughly recommend. He is one of the foremost educators in the C++ world and if you want to get good teaching get his books and read his articles. I'd also like to recommend learning about Design Patterns. I know they can be seen to be anathema to people. In particular this happens when people just learn of the simplest one, The Singleton Pattern, and then use it all the time in totally inappropriate and needless situations and it leads to extremely bad designs and then people reject Design Patterns completely. In my experience the Singleton is unusual in just how extremely easily misused it is and how bad it can make your design. For me the Design Patterns came alive when I learned about Refactoring. Refactoring is the process of making changes to code which give it a better design, without changing the external behaviour. Design Patterns are often the goal of Refactoring. So in conjunction I'd recommend the two books Design Patterns and Refactoring, but neither alone. People ask for recommendations for books quite often. I always point them towards the Association of C and C++ Users website (ACCU). This has a lot of book reviews and the link I've provided is to the list of recommended books. Herb Sutter, Scott Meyers, Bjarne Stroustrup, Koenig and Moo, you can't go wrong. In shopping for books I use kelkoo.com which is a price matching site in Europe. I'd also recommend your local library. For psychological health I'd recommend The Road Less Travelled. For ideas about how to live in community, to work well in groups and to develop peace in the world I'd recommend The Different Drum. Both are by M. Scott Peck. Yes they're old but so am I! Films I'd recommend are "A Short Film About Killing" from Krystof Kyslovski's "Decalog" which lead to the abolition of the death penalty in Poland, also his Three Colours trilogy - Red, White and Blue. Also I like "Wings of Desire" and "Paris, Texas" by Wim Wenders and "Cinema Paradiso" by Giuseppe Tornatore. "Chung King Express" and "In The Mood For Love" by Kar Wai Wong. Foreign Film is a wonderful thing. Finally if you want to find some people who are intelligent, thoughtful, helpful and dedicated you should go here. Thanks everyone. Some of you have been around for a while and have helped me a lot and we have had friendly exchanges and encouragements. It has been good. God be with you. Pete edit: fixed news links [edited by - petewood on April 14, 2004 7:30:13 PM]

Advertisement
Thanks from my side for all the time you invested in helping others in this forum.
Your name definetely rings a bell when I see it, cause you you've replied to many of my posts as well as others.
And thanks for the links: Even trying to help in the good-bye note

I wish you good luck in your life. Congratulations to the baby.
And farewell.

-CProgrammer

[edited by - CProgrammer on April 14, 2004 7:12:36 AM]

Yes, I stopped coming here for a while for the same reason. It is a big shame to see you go, though - especially since I plan to start coming here again - yet I'm sure you'll pop in sometime to see us. It has been a pleasure conversing with you over the years. It is very thoughtful of you to share your knowledge with others in this last thread, and hopefully it will be made a sticky. I wish you all the luck in the future, Pete, and hope you enjoy being a father.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on April 14, 2004 7:23:35 AM]

Well man, it has been a real pleasure. I know you have helped out my newbie butt more than once around here. Much of your post reverberates in my life, (esp. the addiction -- I find I am disposed toward that), but I can only hope to have interests that are as diverse in later life (I am 22).

More importantly I''d like to thank you again for your personality test post awhile back. It was one of many steps out of a darker time in my life. I do not ascribe it to coincidence, though doubtless many others will. I can be honest and now say "it is well with my soul."

God bless.

Well, have fun with life and all now that you''re off the hook, and teach that kid to stay afar from gamedev.net

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!