• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric kim

How to load varible meshes?

This topic is 5241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I usually used x.files but I''ve found great models that have other format. So I tried to make a viewer for the format( It was Half Life''s MDL). Though I have HL SDK and OpenGL MDL Viewer Source, I don''t know how to translate it to D3D. Does anyone know the site about this kinds of topic?

Advertisement
I haven''t really looked into D3D much but IIRC you sumbit vertex data in arrays. So basically to load in other models formats you need to find a file format specification for them, which will tell you how the model data is layed out in a file and then write a loading routine that can get this data from the file and put into arrays you can submit to D3D. If you have the OpenGL MDL Viewer source it will probably use vertex arrays in which case the loading code should be easy to put into whatever application you want to use it in, but if you''re new to this sort of thing try writing a loader yourself. It''s much better to understand the process fully rather than copying the code from another project and forgetting about it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!