want to get into the game industry

Started by
3 comments, last by Mille 20 years ago
Suppose I want to get a Job in the game industry What should I go for, DirectX or OpenGL ? It is still a mystery to me how console games are build ? With special developer tools from Sony/MS to the PS2/XBOX ? thanks ..
www.pokersniffer.org
Advertisement
It would be wise to learn both, however game programming isnt just limited to graphics. Sound, network, gameplay and AI code all need to be written too.

As a short answer to your last question: Yes.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-
-=[Megahertz]=-
A suggestion would be to look at the GameDev.net Job Listings and see what company''s are looking for in potential hirees for different types of jobs. Then you can guide yourself in whichever direction you wish to take.

Admin for GameDev.net.

It doesn't matter whether you choose DirectX or OpenGL - just learn something to do with 3D graphics. Your best bet is to create a complete game, even if it's not that fun. That's what I did with Asteroids 3D - it's not a brilliant game in terms of enjoyment, but it demonstrates some 3D graphics and effects, and shows that I drove it to completion. Believe me, being able to complete something is a big plus when it comes to interview time. You don't want to be handing over a half completed "game engine" and having to make excuses as they play through it and notice giant holes and missing functionality. The demo I made landed me a job at Torus Games in Melbourne, Australia. Oh, and like every industry, once your foot is in the door it's pretty easy to get more work. (I'm now working for another dev house in Melbourne.)

[edited by - a1studmuffin on April 14, 2004 9:39:26 PM]
--------------------------www.4bitterguys.com
I wouldnt worry too much about choosing the ideal, sound, graphix, or comms API at first. Definately focus on single, as well as multiplayer gaming architectures, patterns, what''s good, what''s bad, for writing games. If you know all, or close to, the game programming conecepts, different techinques for the major types of games, and have a good picture of how the overall architecture will look for your game, I beleive you have succeded. Given a stable, and consistent game framework, with sufficient documentation, you dont even have to write a lot of the code. Just throw experts at the different components you need written in whatever langauge being used, using whatever API aggreed upon. Or you could do everything urself, which is never a bad thing. Currently i am doing that. Or maybe a hybrid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement