• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGL_Guru

Visual C++ 6.0 chokes/freezes @ compilation and/or link time

This topic is 5331 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i guess the heading says it all.. i NEVER have had this problem at home but at work they installed it and it doesnt matter what the project is, whether how big or how small, during either compile or link time it will just hang, as i see in the lower box either compiling.... or linking.... and just sits there. i go to the task manager, resources are fine and go to end taask and it says the program is no longer responding and i close it and restart. it doesnt hang every time but sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row and to tell you the truth i have had it. has anyone ever had these problems before or heard of it ? thanks.

Advertisement
I had this problem once at home. It just started outta nowhere. I finally fixed it by totally uninstalling and deleting it, and then reinstalling. Might be an easier way, but at least it got the job done for me. Good luck yourself.

Make sure that precompiled headers are being used. If they aren''t being used it may mean that vc++ is having to process so many header files that it''s slowing things to a crawl.

thanks all so far..well i really would rather not uninstall etc etc cos the admin will have to come down here and all that trouble to fix something that shouldnt even occur. this hasnt always happened at work, it started sometime ago.. yes like kinda outta nowhere. i never used pre-compiled headers then and i have NEVER used them at home and i have never had this problem and ive had it on my machine for years now and not once has this happened(at home)...

I have this problem at home.

Yet, at work it never happens. Maybe it''s the service packs? I didn''t install any VS6 service pack at home. At work I guess they did.

Guest Anonymous Poster
service pack?

I have *sometimes* the same problem...
p4 512 mo
win xp and msvc 6 + sp5
it''s very very annoying
seems that
- installing the latest service pack
- disable hyper-threading
help...
post a reply if someone has a solution!

I remember that i had this problem too.
Im not sure, but as far as I remember I deleted ALL previous created temporary files.

The Wild Wild West - Desperado!

i dunno if its the latest service pack. i have VC 6.0 Professional here at work and i dont think i have the professional at home, i dunno maybe i do.. but i have never had it happen to me at home..no not one time and ive had it installed for like 4 years or close to it. i didnt know the problem was going to be that rampant.. and yet no clear idea of where the problem comes from. maybe i can call up tech support(*cough*) and find out why this is such a common problem.. although one person did say that they uninstalled and reinstalled again, however this is painful, especially when you need an admin to do all that for you annd to make backups etc etc..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!