• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its a game of two halves

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am in the process of creating a board game. Its actually a sports based one, in which there will be two halves to a game. Now if I were to play this board game physically, I would have a timer that would count down 20 real minutes per half. However, this game will be completely played out by the computer, therefore I don''t want each match to last 40 minutes, I want it to go much quicker than that, but with the same net result. A la Championship Manager style. Am I making sense? I am not going to show a graphical representation of the game, as I am simply going to output the result and any commentary to a file that will be processed later. What i am asking is how do I represent the timescale, still do updates but if I ever wanted to watch the match play out, be able too? =*= If things seem bad, think that they can get a whole load worse, and they don''t seem so bad anymore =*=

Advertisement
Just set a scale, say you think a player shold be abe to move 10 yards per second, (quick) work out physics using this as an average with upper and lower bounds, say 100m in 9-13 secs. For AI things are more difficult as ''average'' intelligence (for a footballer ) is unknown, similar rules could apply though.

Hope I''m making sense (sort of).

Jay

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!