• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try out my new game

This topic is 5136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys and gals I''ve just finished a complete game, a breakout clone, wondering whether you guys and gals can test play it a little. The game has 3 levels, not the usual 6 or 12 levels, so the player can conquer the game fast and get a sense of satisfaction, and who can last through 6 rounds of breakout? The game has a moderately slow ball movement; it is not a reflex game like the other breakout clones. With falling bombs feature; it is more of a strategy game; the player need to gauge the best angle to deliver the ball. The game is implemented 100% with STL smart pointers, so memory leaks should not be a problem. The game uses about 10mb of memory during runtime. The game is implemented with OpenGL and runs on windows 9x, 2000, maybe XP or NT. I appreciate any feedback. BUT THE MAIN THING IS...>:->...MUHAHAHAHA....(AK47 showing his fangs, rubbing his hands).... I''ve sent this game to this really really famous I mean world renowned game programmer and his feedback was collision detection failed, speed too extreme and option menu overlap main menu. After vomitting blood from embarassment, I suspect that my FPS limiter code failed with video cards like Geforce, I do not have a video card. That''s game version 4.0. I upgraded the time code in version 4.3. So I am really interested in your feedback if you tested game version 4.0 and 4.3 with your video carded computer. If version 4.0 is bad but 4.3 is good, then I have fixed the problem. If version 4.0 is bad and version 4.3 is bad, then I know I have not fixed the problem yet. But if version 4.0 is good and 4.3 is good also, then I can''t sleep... You can get the game at http://www.angelfire.com/games5/ak47fh/center.html Thanks & many regards

Advertisement
I enjoyed your game and thought the "killer" blocks was a good idea. Out of interest who was this well known programmer it wasnt someone like Andre Lamothe was it. I could do with advice on my code in the near future

Later

Guest Anonymous Poster
the game won''t run, it says it can''t load font. fix that & I''ll try it out again

Hey there...

Version 4.3:

Speed seems to be fine...no problems at all. Collisions work fine, too. I get 70+ FPS.

Problem: Exiting it (through the exit option) generates an error... The standard WinXP error..."the TEST v4.3.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I had this same problem on a program I was working on...you might want to check your destructors on there...(that''s what was causing my issues.)

Version 4.0:

Speed seems fine...no problems at all. Collisions work fine, too. I get 63FPS.

Problem: ....same as 4.3..

Sooooo...in summary, the 2 versions on my machine are almost completely identical. It might''ve been me, but the ball on 4.0 seems to move a bit faster (but it''s still steady)...and it also has 10-15 less FPS. Both crash on exiting.

For reference, my machine:

Athlon 1400
512MB DDR
GeForce4 4200, 128MB, 4X AGP w/ latest drivers
WinXP Pro

I think that''s it for the related important stuff.

1.Hi knealeaj, thanks, glad you enjoyed the game. Who''s that game programmer? A matrix hint, he is right beside you...

2. Hi Anon with font problem, seems like the game cant read the font file, did you remove the game from its folder? If not, try looking for jester.glf in data/font/ in the game folder. If you cannot find it, try downloding the game again from the internet. Good luck!

3. Hi ichor. Hey your feedback was very helpful, thanks! About the destructors, I am thinking hard, I remember I freed all the pointers and setting them NULL...Beside those pointer stuff did I miss something? Not familiar with windows XP programming at all ;9

Hi
I tried the game.. Only version 4.3

Well - speed:
with many stones it changes often between 12 and 40 frames. There seems to be a frame calculating using GetTickCount() or something like that.
GetTickCount only changes every 16ms. Try to use another function for it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/timers/abouttimers.asp

The menu:
When I start the game all 3 menus are shown. That shouldn''t be ^^

The game at all:
The first run: It worked without problems. But if the ball hits a deathly-stone it collids very strange (always to the left bottom). And sometimes it collids not at all.

The second, third... run:
The ball doesn''t collides with the border of the screen.

But might get a nice game ^^
Don''t stop working on it

4.0:
Speed: ok (~65fps)
Collision: Ball goes right through the left wall. Always. Causes awful noise.
Menu: Displays both the main menu AND options [edit: AND hi-scores] simultaneously. Works ok after two attemts to select something..

4.3:
Only framerate differs: ~650fps (coincidence?)

System:
Athlon XP 2000+
512MB DDR
ATI RADEON8500 LE
WinXP Pro

[edited by - nonpop on April 15, 2004 12:27:32 PM]

Only tried 4.3. The framerate was good (~2200) and it ran very smoothly. I didn''t hear any music even though it was turned on. I had to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to exit because neither clicking on the X, nor Alt-F4, nor selecting Exit on the menu had any effect. Also, I found it ran too slowly to be much fun. Maybe add an option for higher speed overall. Also, power-ups (or those death things) should fall in front of the blocks so you can see them coming. However, good job getting it running, there are just a couple little issues to iron out.

tj963

collision detection doesn''t entirely work, I had the ball go straight through the middle of my paddle once. The music never played but the sound effects did. & every other time I bring up the game it would be in two menu modes at the same time, very weird

Hi guys thanks for all the troubleshooting help, advice, feedback and encouragement! Man, you dudes are the greatest.

Why the game runs fine on some computers while not on others...

My game problems are narrowing down to windows XP. I learned my windows api programming from slightly old tutorials of The Forger, Digiben and Ultimate game programming. I do not think windows XP programming should be any different from the traditional windows api programming but I will check. Any ideas?

In the meantime, in new version 4.4, I have integrated, assimilated, borgged all timeGetTime() fragments into one super QueryPerformanceCounter object, hopefully that will solve the speed, collision, menu problems. I''ve also included opengl32.dll & glu.dll in the game folder; with a bit of luck might solve the menu and game closing problems, though the game might be forced to run on software rendering mode but it is a small game.

I need to install more error log....

Mmmmm...... ;9 hope you guys will continue testing my newer versions and be patient with my mistakes.

Thanks and many regards

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!