Try out my new game

Started by
18 comments, last by AK47 19 years, 11 months ago
I''m having a hard time trying to uncompress your zip file with winrar. Maybe this computer is broken (cyber-café).

I''ll try again tomorrow.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
Thanks guys!

Got feedback inserting opengl32.dll slows down the game too much.

I am still researching windows XP programming. Very hard to find this resource on the net. Any good link?

Meantime, help troubleshoot my source code! Relevent part source code available in my site!

Muhahahahahahahahah

Thanks and many regards

Version 4.5 released with PURE TIME BASED MOVEMENT.

Install a menu overlapping protection interlock just in case!
Like this

if(isMenuDisplay)
{
isOptionDisplay = false;
isHighScoreDisplay = false;
}//Pretty crappy but should work

Relevent part source code available if you want to take a look!

;9

Stay cute and handsome

Peace all!
Looks nice, version 4.4 would run extremely slowly with the dlls included. After i deleted them it wouldnt go past the first screen.

4.5 however seemed to work great except there is no collision with the left side of the board, the ball just disappears off the screen and makes a noise.

Keep up the good work.

"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that''s what you''re going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England."
Member of the NeHe team.
Hi I tried ur version 4.6, and I didnt find any bug. BUT, on my computer, the ball is going so fast, I cant see where its going lol. So its kinda unplayable for me. heh, I get an average FPS around 350. However, my comp isnt that powerful:

1.2Ghz celeron
512Mb SDRAM
Radeon 9200se 128Mb

So as the other 1 said u should add a controler to control the speed of the ball, or put a Sleep(15), at the end of the draw function. Or, try not to base the speed of the ball on the fps, on the draw scene function, because itll b different on each computer. Try to base ur movement speed on time.

nvm what i just said lol I looked up and see that you wrote : "Version 4.5 released with PURE TIME BASED MOVEMENT."
well maybe the time between each movement is too low bcause on my comp I cant see the ball moving, its too fast: when i press spacebar, I see that a couple of box was gone and the ball was back on my plate with a life gone :0(.

Keep it up.

[edited by - geez on April 20, 2004 3:29:42 PM]
Thanks guys for all the feedback! Let''s see the game has 4 major problems (discounting gameplay and occasional music failure) which are:

1. Menu Overlap
2. Failed collision at the walls
3. Crashed game exit
4. No rendering

(1) should be solved.

(2) Installed a wall-ball collision error protection system: after ball collided with wall, it will swosh back to its precollision position, muhahahahahahaha. With extra time based movement, no.2 should not be a problem anymore. I hope.

(3) Installed window destroy command together with existing window exit command in message loop. Hope windows xp wont crash again upon game exit.

(4) Placed glu32.dll inside game folder. Hope that will solve some rendering problem. Meanwhile I will fork out some money from my piggy bank and get windows xp.

One more thing, the game PURE TIME BASED MOVEMENT speed is lowered down so humans can play it. ;9

Muhahahahahahahaha evil nose bleeding castle builder goes back to work.

Peace out
Latest update:

I just got a copy of windows xp. Tested my game on it. And now I know how Bill Clinton feels like =^^=.

I ran some of my old demos on the new OS. No problem.

Hmmmm....I added new stuff in the game like singleton, smart pointers, display list, vertex buffer.....Hmmmm I have a prime suspect now. Muahahahahhahhahhaha.

WARNING: DONT TEST PLAY MY GAME AT THE MOMENT. IT HAS ISSUES.
Grrrrr found some info here....

Q: In both Pontifex and Bridge Builder, I get display errors and the games run incredibly slow. I have a fast machine, so it''s nothing my computer can''t handle. Can this problem be attributed to Windows XP?
A: Windows XP supports OpenGL out of the box. Unfortunately, this is done using a software renderer that lets your CPU do all 3D calculations and renders it using the usual windows output. It does not use your video card''s hardware functions at all. Of course, this is incredibly slow, and can also lead to display errors.

Q: So how can I let OpenGL programs make use of my 3D hardware?
A: You need to download and install display drivers from your 3D card manufacturer that enable hardware OpenGL support. This speeds up OpenGL applications enormously and (hopefully) fixes the display bugs.

Q: But Windows XP includes drivers for my video card?
A: But Microsoft doesn''t like OpenGL, so these have no support for it. (Some WHQL-certified drivers from hardware vendors don''t, either - as was the case with the 12.40 Nvidia Detonator re: TNT2 cards). I can only guess this is so that users think OpenGL is crap - which it is definitely not, only M$ doesn''t like it. They prefer for game developers to write for DirectX, which means programs can be easily ported to the Xbox, but not so easily to Linux (which supports OpenGL, too).
If you think this is too much effort just for BB or Pontifex, be assured that a) these are great games ;-), and b) any other OpenGL game you might try will run slow as well unless you get OpenGL installed properly.
Latest update

Ported the game from dev c++ to msvc 6.0. Now this is so weird, i got manual errors, wall collsion failed, bad speed, the works. At least now the game exit properly in windows xp. Stay tuned!
AHA! Menus overlapping problem and wall-ball collision problem SOLVED TOTALLY! That''s because I didn''t initialize certain flags and variables to 0 value, I thought it is default assignment by compiler. It is hard to correct these faults when everything runs fine in my old dev c++ exe, but now with my new MSVC exe having the same problems as you guys are having, I can see it, I can fix it.

Muhahahahahahaha

So,

1. Menu overlapping problem SOLVED
2. Wall-ball collision problem SOLVED
3. Graphics SOLVED (graphics doesn''t display due to gameloop problem due to floating flags value)
4. Windows exit problem SHOULD BE SOLVED ( i also had problems with exiting windows xp with my old dev c++ exe, but now with new MSVC exe, the problem doesn''t happen again)

Ok, still some time based movement left to adjust.

Stay tuned!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement