C#/.NET book WITH compiler?

Started by
8 comments, last by Rock2000 19 years, 12 months ago
I''m looking to learn C# and .NET (for resume building), but ideally I''m looking for a book that includes the compiler (intro version, whatever, I don''t care). I made a quick stop at Borders, but it seems that including CDs in books is not very common anymore. Any good books out there that contain the newer compiler? (game books would be even better). Thanks
Advertisement
If you''ve installed the .NET Runtime, you can find the C#-compiler in your "Program Files" somewhere: just search for ''csc.exe''.
If you need the documentation, and a bunch of extra tools and examples, download the .NET SDK from the Microsoft-site.

---
tommy online: http://users.pandora.be/tommycarlier
I haven''t installed anything. I''ve got VC6 and that''s it, and I don''t forsee downloading much from MS on my little 56k modem. That''s why I''m looking for a book that has everything I need to get started on a CD.
quote:Original post by Rock2000
I haven''t installed anything. I''ve got VC6 and that''s it, and I don''t forsee downloading much from MS on my little 56k modem. That''s why I''m looking for a book that has everything I need to get started on a CD.

Unless it''s an MS book, I can''t see them being allowed to distribute .net. Why can''t you download the runtime? It''s not that big. I used to download large files on my 56k all the time...just get a decent download manager (gozilla was what I used to use, but there are probably better available now)
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
OK, I really have no idea what .NET even is (which is probably why I need a book). I can download the .NET runtime (you''re right, it isn''t that big). Don''t I need the .NET SDK though, which is much bigger. Or VC7? Books used to have stripped down versions of the IDEs (I think I got an intro version of VC6 in ''Windows game programming for dummies'' or something, back in the day), which wasn''t a MS book. As long as they can con developers to use their proprietary languages, they will still win in the end, even if they lose a compiler sale. Although you can''t really make any commercial quality apps with a stripped down compiler, so if you like what you learn you''ll eventually have to get a real copy of it anyways. It seems to be a win-win for MS, which is why it seems strange to me that the practice of supplying the tools looks to be dead. Or maybe its all based on broadband now instead of CDs.
well visual c# standard edition is only $109 anyway (which is that much more then your average tech book). why not just buy that then you have pretty everything you need to get started?
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
I''ve seen a Microsoft Published book with C#.net, but I can''t find it anymore, all thats there is C++ with a book. =(

Also Besy Buy doesn''t carry C# anymore and I have no where to but C# and my parents are against Online Ordering =(
quote:Original post by Axiverse
I''ve seen a Microsoft Published book with C#.net, but I can''t find it anymore, all thats there is C++ with a book. =(

Also Besy Buy doesn''t carry C# anymore and I have no where to but C# and my parents are against Online Ordering =(
The .NET runtime includes csc, the same (or very similar) C# compiler Visual Studio uses, and SharpDevelop is a kickass IDE.

For learning, what more do you need?

You can also download a free personal version of C# builder from borland''s site. It''s the complete personal edition, except that its license forbids you from selling software developed with it. If you buy the personal edition (around $100) you can.
Think of .Net as an alternative API to Win32. It has all sorts of nifty things like garbage collection and lots of other cool stuff, and it''s designed in such a way that it will be cross platform, once the Mono project (www.go-mono.com) and DotGNU make a little more progress. It solves problems like DLL Hell and inconsistent methodologies between languages, etc.

Just think of it as a fancy new API for you to have fun with.

And the run time is only like 23 megs, so on a 56k modem, it shouldn''t be too much of a drama to download. Also, if you want a free IDE, go to www.icsharpcode.net and download SharpDevelop. It has a few bugs and isn''t quite as good as VS.Net but it''s damn fine for something free.

Snowman | Ardaxus | Nathan
---------------------------------
Tangle - Persistent World Toolkit
tangle.netlab.com.au
Snowman | Ardaxus | Nathan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement