• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deryk

OpenGL using and manipulating Maya models in OpenGL

This topic is 5237 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi. i''ve looked through the forums regarding using 3d models create in Maya in OpenGL, but so far need some things clarified. my friends and i are creating a top down game with 3d graphics, much like the look and feel of battle realms, with 3d models seen from a top view. we use Maya Unlimited 4.5 and decided to try and use it to create the in-game models. we already created one low-polygon model to try and experiment, but we do not know how to load it into opengl for manipulation. - how do we do this? are there any programs out there that can do this for us? next, once the model is loaded, how do we actually animate it? how do we use walk cycles for example? lastly, how do we modify actual objects like limbs or the head of a character for example, instead of having to reposition every vertex on his body? thanks! :D we''re pretty much familiar with the maya side, and we can program quite a bit, but we''re pressed for time since our project focuses more on the artificial intelligence of the computer-controlled characters, so this is pretty much for the aesthetic value of it all.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you''re press for time, just export them as .OBJ and write a parser for it to load it to your OGL apps, can be done in 10 minutes.

exporting as obj can be done from within maya? where can i learn to write a parser? and, let''s say an object can be brought into openGL, how can i, for example, move one arm, instead of a bunch of vertices? in maya, joints can do this, but how can this be done in opengl?

thanks!

If you bought Maya, it should have come with the SDK, which explains the API for examining the Maya scene and exporting the data you want. In this case, the joint hierarchy, the mesh vertices and connectedness, and the vertices->joints weighting information.

If you use free Maya, you can''t do that -- that''s how they get you to buy! Use something like Milkshape instead.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by deryk
exporting as obj can be done from within maya? where can i learn to write a parser? and, let''s say an object can be brought into openGL, how can i, for example, move one arm, instead of a bunch of vertices? in maya, joints can do this, but how can this be done in opengl?

thanks!

you can find parser on www.gametutorials.com

I think you''re expecting OpenGL to do a little too much. It''s a rendering API, really, and that''s it. Animation you''re going to have to do yourself, and it''s a complex issue that no one can really explain to you in a forum response. You should look up "skeletal animation tutorial" or something of the sort on google and see what you can find. This site might have some good articles; Gamasutra might, also.

If you''re looking for an ENGINE, not just a way to communicate with the graphics card, I suggest taking a look at Ogre. It''s pretty swanky and robust, and I think a Maya exporter comes with it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think you have to load a plugin to export in OBJ format in maya 5.0.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!