• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

honds

WorldCraft levels freeze Quake2 - please help

This topic is 5208 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m using WorldCraft to make QuakeII levels and testing it on the Quake II demo as well as my own total conversion. However, when I test the level from WorldCraft Quake freezes when I added anything to the level. It works fine if I load a level someone else made on the internet, but when I load a level I made Quake feezes. It isn''t a crash... it appears to be an infinate loop. Even though I can''t find the code in the Q2 source. I looked at the map files in a text editor and I don''t see any syntaxical difference between the levels I downloaded and the ones I make. Yet the levels I download work fine. And if I copy and move around objects in the downloaded levels it works fine too. But as soon as I create a new brush with WorldCraft it will no longer work in Quake. Any idea? Has anyone had this problem before?

Advertisement
Have you got it properly setup for quake 2?

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave

Spudder,
WorldCraft was origionaly made for Quake. You just need to download the older version to make Quake II levels.

TechnoGoth,
Yes, Quake II is installed fine as far as I know. Maps loaded amd made by other people work fine (even when opened and run in Worldcraft)
The problem is when I create my own brushes. If I create new entities or copy a brush from the other person''s map it works fine.
The problem makes no sense at all to me.

Thank you both for your replies.

hmm it sounds an awful lot like you don''t have Woldcraft properly configured to handle quake2 maps. The crahes in your program could be caused by quake2 trying to load unrecognized objects.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave

honds - Are you sure that your brushes are convex? When I use Hammer for Half-Life (i.e. WorldCraft by Valve) it catches concave brushes, but I don''t know about the older WorldCraft. If you don''t use all convex brushes, you''ll break something, guaranteed.

I can''t see were there could possibly be something configured wrong.
And about the convex thing.. here is an example scenario...

1) I load the world. Let''s cakk it glass.rmf
2) I compile and run it in Quake II.
3) Works perfectly!!!
4) I add some entities... let''s say a grenade launcher.
5) I compile and run it in Quake II.
6) Works perfectly!!!
7) I copy a brush, resize it and move it to a new location.
8) I compile and run it in Quake II.
9) Works perfectly!!!
10) I create a new quare brush... nothing special, just a square.
11) I compile and run it in Quake II.
12) Freezes Quake!!!!!! I have to Ctrl-alt-delete it.

it is configured right as far as I know... and all I made was a simple square. No possibility of a geometric error.

Maybe Radient will give me better luck... although I hate the interface.
Thank you all for your help... but I don''t think I am any closer to finding a problem. Is there any better way to make Quake II levels? How did the people over at ID Software do it before Worldcraft existed?

Well first, I''d export the map to a .map file and check the plane definitions on the object you added to see if they are as expected. A .map file is nothing more than a text file.

I''d then manually compile the .map file with qbsp (qbsp2 for quake2??) and try the map out in quake2. You don''t need to run the map through the lighting or vis programs to play the map just note that that information wont be included in the .bsp file.

If the map runs at that point, I''d then run it through the lighting and vis programs and try playing the map again.

Since the .map file is nothing more than a text file, if theres a problem thats causing quake2 to freeze then it''ll be in there for sure.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

At this point I am tempted to write my own world editor and just make it export to .map
Although, radient isn''t that bad once you get used to it. Even though I always have to manualy compile the BSP because I can''t get the automatic compile to work without errors.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!