• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

irbrian

QT worth anything to Game Developers?

This topic is 5329 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been hearing and seeing a lot about QT of late, and I''m curious if its of any worth to game developers. For those who don''t know, QT is an open source, C++ GUI application framework from Trolltech. As I understand it, the code is completely platform-independent, but the applications are compiled and run natively. It does look like its more geared toward traditional, windowed GUI apps, but I thought I''d ask anyway.

Advertisement
QT is pretty cool, but as it is functionally impossible to render to an abstract device (such as an OpenGL context or Direct3D device surface) without jumping through hoops and monumental slowdown, I''d have to say that it has no relevance to the actual game.

It could be useful for tools development, if it weren''t completely eclipsed by the proliferation of MFC in past years and the current ease and flexibility of Windows Forms (Gtk# for Mono users).

That''s about what I figured.

Side note: I assume that your comment about jumping through hoops to use an OpenGL context does take the QT OpenGL library into account?

Qt is excellent in every respect except that it costs a lot of money. I''d look at wxWindows, which seems to be only slightly less nice and doesn''t cost money. I thought Qt had a way to make an OpenGL context but a MODERATOR said it''s hard so who knows. I know that wxWindows does.

Still, they''re both more useful for tools than for games.

QT does cost a fair bit
They have a library for OGl.
Its possible to use DirectX/3d also.
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2003-03/thread01272-0.html

Paul.

quote:
Original post by bobstevens
Qt is excellent in every respect except that it costs a lot of money.
Actually, there is an Open Source distribution available under the GPL. Of course, this means that you can only use it for Open Source products. Also, it appears that it''s only available for Linux platforms.

I expect QT is of use to game developers but only for tools and/or setup programs, not for actual in-game GUIs, which tend to have rather different requirements. It makes windowed-mode overlapping windows style of a GUI, which is not what''s used in most games.

Mark

quote:
Original post by irbrian
Actually, there is an Open Source distribution available under the GPL. Of course, this means that you can only use it for Open Source products. Also, it appears that it''s only available for Linux platforms.

I''m aware of this, but using it under the GPL is not desirable or feasible in many cases. And they don''t let you switch licenses in the middle of a project.

quote:
Original post by irbrian
quote:
Original post by bobstevens
Qt is excellent in every respect except that it costs a lot of money.

It can (and has) been used for close source. If I somehow missed something making it so it can''t be, it''s sure broken a lot

I''m sure I''ve seen more than just Linux versions...

A bit more on topic... QT might be nice for GUIs once you get used to it, but after having been through the QT embedded source code a few times, I highly doubt you''d want it for anything ingame

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!