greatest *taken* story

Started by
4 comments, last by Chokki 20 years ago
just curious, what, in your oppinion, would have made a great story for a game, were it not for the fact that the story was already cliche? I mean, pretend that this story was your idea, and no one had ever even thought of it before... For an example, I think that... oh... the Wizard of Oz would have been a great RPG. Think about it, you have all the characters (PC''s, NPC''s), plot twists, and most of the other elements. albeit, it would be a pretty linear game... Well, thats my example. What''s yours?
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Advertisement
E.T. (This joke is in reference to the fact that Electronic Gaming Monthly rated it the worst game ever). Seriously, I think Any book by either Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, or Terry Goodkind would make a great video game (althoug Terry Goodkind says he doesn''t want to have people making games or movies out of his books at this time. Also (and if they can make a video game out of Beetlejuice, the Flinstones, and the Jetsons, I''m sure they can make games out of these) Moulin Rouge (you must fight the evil body guards of the Duke by singing to them and eventually must fight the Duke by... dropping a curtain on him?... Spaceballs: played like Contra, except you get to chose from the four main characters, plus you can unlock Pizza the Hut, Yogurt, and the villains. You eventually must fight against Mega Maids large central computer unit, with Dark Helmet inside, then fight him one on one in a light ring duel. Your schwartz will be as big as his, of course...

Note: This post was not in any way serious, so don''t think I''m odd, or something...
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
The Star Wars format is perfect for a video game. Action sequence, dialogue, action sequence, dialogue, action sequence, dialogue, action sequence, end credits. Perfect. Cover the dialogue as cut-scenes and play through the action bits. The Star wars games weren''t perfect, but the formula is good. It''s also seen in the Terminator movies.

The wandering action and exponential skill upgrades of DragonBall would make for a pretty good game, too, if they didn''t anime it all up. Actually, I''d like to see a fairly conventional RPG based on the legend of Sun Wukong, since he starts out as a monkey and then, through practice and adventures becomes as powerful as a god. That''s pretty much how the average RPG goes nowadays, and at least that had a neat context for it.

The labors of Hercules would be neat, with combat and puzzles to master, and once they''re done Hercules basically turned intoa roving adventurer, seeking glory and fame, which is a great excuse for an open-ended story, although it would eventually terminate at his poisoning and apotheosis.

Ivanhoe is a fantastic story that''s based primarily on fights and snappy dialogue, but it would be tough to pick a main character, and games that have you switching back and forth tend to get awkward. It would be worth it just to play as Richard, and have to win a drinking contest with Friar Tuck and then storm the castle, with your success in the last challenge translating to a penalty in the current one!
People spit on the "save the world" plot nowadays, calling it (rightfully) overused, but I think that despite being overused it still holds a major amount of potential.

Seriously, what threat could be greater than the end of the world? And what could be more thrilling than saving the world?

In the end, it doesn''t have to boil down to badguy_x wants to destroy world_y using ancient_magic_z. I can see a number of variations that have yet to be exploited. For instance, the plot in my current project (Silver) involves the resurection of God by a religious sect. They plan on ridding the world of its new sin (how mankind has turned its back on religion and shunned God for so long) and have very little respect for human life. Random "I-will-destroy-the-world-just-to-show-how-much-of-a-badass-I-am" plot? Maybe. Though I think it goes a little deeper than that, and I dare anyone to honestly call this idea outright dull and worthless.

Of course, you have to draw a fine line between an original use of a cliché idea and just rehashing what''s been done ("Ok heros, I will destroy your puny world with the ancient song of the silver spoon." "Won''t you destroy yourself as well?" "Silence! The plot does not have to expand on this!")
Speaking of Dumas'' work, I definitely think a story based on the Muskateers would make an excellent RPG. Political intrigue, racing against the clock, duels, epic battles, a powerful enemy and his henchmen, swords and pistols, four central characters with different motives, skills and plot lines - it has all the elements for a gripping story-based action RPG.

[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
quote:Original post by EricTrickster
Speaking of Dumas'' work,
Were we?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement