Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NVIDIA KING OF THE HILL. the GeForce 6800 Ultra has debuted..beats ATI.. for now..

This topic is 5011 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1708/ theres the link. it beats ATI in every benchmark along with every resolutuin, most of the benchmarks by 70 - 100% better FPS count. but beware, for those that have a custom built PC.. you might have to re-work your design around this monster.. taking up a hefty 2 power connectors, and a PCI AND AGP slot, requiring 480 watts of power...NVIDIA back on top for now... ATI''s next card ..the X800 debutes in about 13 days. then we will see who is the true king of the hill.. hey mods..can you make this a sticky?? that way no one misses out.. THANKS!

New performance and features are always nice. The Unreal3 engine running on all-shaders with parallax mapping and insanely well crafted art surely looks cool.

Regarding all this "king of the hill" stuff, well, anyone writing a game has to support at least the big three (Intel, ATI and NVIDIA). Trying to take sides just won''t help anything.

Don''t you think it''s a bit....early to declare a champion?

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

well like i said for now they are the champion.. also boasting 222 million transistors.

NVIDIA can boast though that this card will take advantage of Vertex AND Pixel Shaders 3.0 as well as some advanced texture mapping/bump mapping.

There''s no such thing as the "champion". There''s only the march of progress. Today''s champion will go for $10 on ebay in a few months.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think this qualifies as a "who the f*ck cares?" type of thing...

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I think this qualifies as a "who the f*ck cares?" type of thing...

Sounds like the type of poster with posts like "ATI 4 teh win!"

Some of us actually like to read up on technology advances and changes in 3D graphics.. even if you don't.

[edited by - Imperil on April 14, 2004 3:34:04 PM]

now now anonymous that really wasnt called for now was it? a lot of people care.. its all over the gaming news.. a lot of people are excited about it..sorry to break it to ya.

And how the f*** is your average home user, and therefore biggest target market, going to afford ones of these things, know how to set it up and configure their games to take advantage of it? Some don''t even know what a window is, or how to use a mouse. You put one of these in their machines, even an OEM and they won''t even use half the features.

quote:
Original post by pkelly83
And how the f*** is your average home user, and therefore biggest target market, going to afford ones of these things, know how to set it up and configure their games to take advantage of it? Some don't even know what a window is, or how to use a mouse. You put one of these in their machines, even an OEM and they won't even use half the features.

I can say the exact same thing about the geforce 1.... although at least with nVidia you don't have to switch to specific driver versions to play games.... as is the case for a certain other manufacturer heh

[edited by - Imperil on April 14, 2004 3:50:59 PM]

Wait.. in the pictures they forgot to take the card out of the case.. no wait.. thats just the heatsink/fan LOL...and this card i believe is set to be to where it plays all games and you dont have to configure it to do anything special. if you use certain features you do , if you dont you dont. obviously this is only for the elite game and openGL/directX programmer wishing to bring their games/apps to even a fuller more realistic experience...

"Moore''s law" for video card suggests that the speed doubles about every 6 months. It seems to be about on schedule this time as well

quote:
Original post by OpenGL_Guru
it beats ATI in every benchmark along with every resolutuin, most of the benchmarks by 70 - 100% better FPS count.

tbh, hardly suprising, the 9800xt is based on a speed bumped 9700pro (with some refinement), so i would hope that a new design with a higher clock speed, faster ram and twice as many pipelines could beat a design which is around a year and a half to 2 years old

It appears they learnt well from the hashup which was the FX range (which is probably why the name was dropped and they are back to being Geforce cards) and they look up have put in a very solid card and i look forward to seeing how it compares both spec and speed wise to the X800 soon, but i agree, its a bit soon to be declaring it the ''king of the hill'', and while the statement about it beating ATI is true, its beating what is infact 2 year old hardware

Guest Anonymous Poster
Materialism is bad...

yeah we will see in about 2 weeks what the X800 offers vs the 6800 Ultra. hey this is good for everyone.. someone mentioned that no one would be able , or most people wouldnt be able to afford it. well they can get the next best thing and the ati 9800XT or any of the FX line now that these cards will assuredly drop in price when the NV 6800 Ultra and the ATI X800 hit the consumer shelves.

This thing is power monster, it takes two power connections from your mobo, dissipates 110 watts. The next generation of GPUS will require liquid cooling, if this trend continues.

ATI has to do something fast and hopefully they will, as it enhances competition and gives us better products.

The roadmap for ATI looks pretty bleak right now as they are supposed to be releasing an 8 pixel pipeline card that is moderately faster than a 9800XT using the same design with minor changes.

Hopefully they''ll do something about this nVidia release and put out something that will actually compete instead of bilking customers B-)

actually as we speak they are getting ready to start building GPU or at least testing them with liquid cooling built right in. you are correct, without them, you will have smoke coming out of your box in no time. but yes.. the vendors are talking about the liquid cooling problem as we speak..

apprently the card now has 12 pipelines, the extra 4 were always there they just needed to be ''unlocked''.
However this is just speculation, so we''ll see in a few weeks for sure

Personaly speaking, although i''ve got an ATI card i didnt want to see Nvidia fluff this up, if ATI had the position of ''top dog'' two years running it wouldnt have been as good for consumers.

jesus, that''s a monster, in every respect! I''ll probably melt my poor KT266 rig. The fan itself is just ludicrous. Anyway, look more like a "next-gen" developer dream than being of any use for gamers, even the hardcore ones. Goes to show that people doubting that Doom3 would not run on a conceivable rig at a comfortable frame rate were wrong, granted, it''s been delayed by almost 6 months.

yes phantom this is really good for consumers. this will keep prices competitive and bring down the price of even still robust cards that have come out in the last year.

man can you imagine 10 years from now it wont be what GPU you want with your CPU but rather what kinda CPU would you like with your GPU. you might chuckle but if you think about it this could be reality.

**calling Dell..

CSR: hello how are you today, how can i help you?
customer: yes i would like to know about your new GPU Systems?
CSR: sure we have the new 8GB DDR RAM GPU with the all new 25 Ghz CPU/ALU motherboard, how does that sound to you?
customer: oh great! hook me up! oh yeah and that GPU does come with an extra boost of liquid cooling right?
CSR: oh yes..would you also like to add a 3000 Watt Power Supply, as this is recommended for this system??
Customer: sure i will take it!

quote:
And how the f*** is your average home user, and therefore biggest target market, going to afford ones of these things, know how to set it up and configure their games to take advantage of it? Some don''t even know what a window is, or how to use a mouse. You put one of these in their machines, even an OEM and they won''t even use half the features.

Wow.

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

quote:

I think thats what they said about ''home desktop computers'' back when they first started to sell them.

Do you not know how the technology market works? The people who buy the top of the line shit are the people that know what they are doing. All others would go with whatever is applicaple to them.