• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squirell

Anybody heard of something called Qt?

This topic is 5178 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A couple of people at my school are thinking about developing a game. It will be 2D game sorta like warcraft (much smaller scale obviously). They say that there going to use Qt for graphics. I think we should use something else (directx, opengl, even sdl, whatever) because when i looked at the Qt site it looked to me like it was just for menus and not for games. Am i right or wrong that it would be much more effiecent to develop a game like this in lets say directX compared to Qt. (Assuming we are profiecent in both).

Advertisement
Qt would work nicely for interfaces, but for the game rendering itself, I doubt it''ll have everything oyu need.

thats what i thought. People im working with havent devolped a game before so they dont really understand the need for speed. Well time to go break this into stubborn brains. Being a freshmen makes it so hard to argue with juniors and seniors lol

If the game is turn based, Qt should be ok, but if its real time, they should look into SDL.

But they can still use say Qt or some other GUI system for the rest of the game, ie interface, load screens, etc. but for the primary renderding of a real time game you need something faster.

[edited by - yspotua on April 14, 2004 4:54:00 PM]

take wxwindows for example (it provides the same abilities as qt and the licence is in my opinion better).
you create a window, menu and everything and than put a glcanvas on a panel. now you've got your place to render opengl scences..., i guess for a small game such an interface would be enough.

[edited by - zeon on April 14, 2004 5:06:25 PM]

If You Are Talking About The QT That Comes With Red Hat Linux 8, I Can Tell You, For A Game, It Would Be OK For Menus, But For
Graphics, I Would Leave That Alone Completely...

yes its in realtime. Ive been suggesting SDL as an option now for a while. They refuse directX because the game has to be cross-platform (its their first **** game why do they care, oh well). I dont know OpenGL so i suggested SDL. At first they said it had to be cross-platform so SDL wouldnt work. After a day of argueing...yes a whole DAY...i convinced them that SDL is indeed cross-platform. (if you havent figured it out yet these guys are incredibly stubborn). Anyway, they then said that Qt is faster than SDL citing the fact that since SDL is being reworked it must be terrible. (all of that is bs of course).

Well now that my vent is over does anyone know good sites that i could cite in my arguments about SDL''s and Qt''s speeds. Even better would be a site comparing the two. Thanks in advance

quote:
Original post by Squirell At first they said it had to be cross-platform so SDL wouldnt work.

Uh? Are you sure these guys know what platforms are? And what the word cross means?

quote:
Anyway, they then said that Qt is faster than SDL citing the fact that since SDL is being reworked it must be terrible. (all of that is bs of course).

"Uh?" again.

quote:
Well now that my vent is over does anyone know good sites that i could cite in my arguments about SDL''s and Qt''s speeds. Even better would be a site comparing the two.

I doubt you''ll find sites comparing Qt and SDL because they''re really for two different things. It''d be like someone comparing MFC and DirectX, which are two Windows analogues to Qt and SDL respectively. Or like comparing a horse and a cow. Which is faster... the horse or the cow? The answer is that it depends on if you''re trying to win a race with your animal or get some milk out of it.

... Well, that was a horrible analogy but hopefully you see my point. There is some overlap in the capabilities of Qt and SDL, but they''re really designed for different things.

In reality it sounds like you''re working with a bunch of kids that don''t really have any clue what they''re doing. If you are OK with this, then I hope you have lots of success in talking sense into them.

SDL is good choice for a cross-platform 2D game because that is exactly what SDL is designed for. Qt is a GUI widget kit not a 2D hardware abstraction layer. Qt does abstract 2D drawing, but it is comparable to the Win32 GDI; its purpose is easy of use and multi-target rendering (e.g. screen and printer) and not high-frame-rate animation. You could create a windowed game using the OpenGL Qt widget as OpenGL is designed for animation. OpenGL does have a 2D API that is often overlooked because OpenGL is designed for 3D graphics. OpenGL is the defacto standard for portable vector graphics. If you are making a raster graphics 2D game then OpenGL may be overkill. You can use the advanced 3D features for some cool 2D effects though (hunt down Stick Soldiers 2 ). If you are making a board game then Qt is an acceptable choice.

Also note that the Windows port of Qt does not have an open source license (and is about $1500). I would also recommend wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows) as a free and portable alternative.

- Magmai Kai Holmlor

Moderator, Software Engineering forum
Gamedev.net

Software Engineer
General Dynamics Land Systems
(We use Qt for some of our embedded GUIs)

Lawrence Technological University
Computer Science and Mathematics
Cum Laude

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows| Spirit(xBNF)]
[Free C Libraries | zlib ]

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on April 14, 2004 12:18:32 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!