• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need source code for 3d game

This topic is 5122 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Anyone know where i can get the source code for a decent 3d game which can run at acceptable framerates on slow machines such as mine (700 mhz, 256 mb sdram, ati rage pro 128) yet is easy to understand (not quake!). All i can find is source code for either huge professionally-made games which i cant figure how to run or games made by amateur game developers which dont consider the framerate issue as seriously. I want to learn how to optimize my code but im low on cash to go buy a book on optimization techniques and i figured reading someone''s elses source code could give me ideas. thanx in advance.

Advertisement
You should start with nehe.gamedev.net, that should really help you with your learning.

If that is not enough, try www.gametutorials.com. Game Tutorials 3D tutorials are easier to understand.

----------------------------------------------
"I''ve never dared handle it, but I''ve seen it. Felt its power. Christ the Man Jesus help me, I have Black Thirteen under the floorboards of my church. And it''s come alive!"

Oh and my website www.blossomsoft.com

@blackthirteen, i''ve been learning from nehe, gametutorials and other beginner sites for a long time now, but they''re not what i''m looking for, I''m looking for the source code of a game with all the components of a real game (most importantly performance optimization) but is not as complex as big free-source-code games like quake, hexen, heretic etc...

@spudder, tried that but maybe i need to try harder, i forgot about source-forge.net.

thanx for your replies, need more.

Go to www.StealMy3dGameForFree.com

If you cant learn from tutorials, what makes you think you can learn from looking at code?

tutorials do not necessarily explain practical use or integration with other components. One could spend a lot of time trying to work all of the ideas together from scratch.

Its not that i havent learnt anything from the tutorials, i''ve learnt alot and wrote an arkanoid clone but because my pc is really slow and i have zero experience at proper optimization i thought it would be a good idea to read the code of a game that runs at a high framerate on my pc. About www.StealMy3dGameForFree.com; either the websites down or you were being sarcastic??

quote:
Original post by WIlotek
If you cant learn from tutorials, what makes you think you can learn from looking at code?

Personally, I have yet to see a good tutorial on how to make a game engine. Most tutorials out there are graphics specific, sound specific, input specific, AI specific etc. All that''s well and good, but I haven''t seen any tutorials taking a game loop and breaking it into components and show how each component works together.

...And yes, I''ve read Enginuity. It''s ok but first and foremost handles garbage collection, smart pointers, etc (I''m using C#, so it''s not that interesting).

Have a look at :
http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html
http://www.powerrender.com/

Good luck !

- Iliak -

quote:
Original post by ahmedr
About www.StealMy3dGameForFree.com; either the websites down or you were being sarcastic??

ROFL that is probably the best thing I''ve read all morning. You''ve just made my day at work a lot better lol B-)

• Advertisement