• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rob64464

few questions.

This topic is 5302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am a noob to C++ so please bite your tongue over these very noob questions! In the games industry what COMPILER do they use? VC++ 6 or VC++ .NET(Just C++ not managed apps)? Also, I am not a total noob to managed DX but I wish to start on DX in C++ now. I am trying to make my games very compatable with Win 98+ therefore does anybody know where I can download the DX6 SDK from? Thanks, Rob

Advertisement
I don''t have hard numbers, but I would guess that the majority of major game developer studios have switched over to MSVC 7.0 or 7.1 by now (.NET 2002 and 2003 respectively). This is just my impression from talking with people; I could have a biased sample space.

You probably don''t need to download the DX6 SDK. Due to the mostly backwards compatible nature of DirectX you can still program for the earlier DX versions using the later SDKs. I''ve done DirectX 7 programming with the DX 8 SDK for example. Either way, you should probably check out msdn.microsoft.com.

Alternately, it might be able to find an old book with a copy of the SDK on it.

AFAIK, Windows 98 supports DX9 as well as the .NET framework, so as long as you don''t need to support Win95, you should be fine.

I don''t want to use .NET. I just want the user to be able to download and play the game without downloading any files. Where can I get the DX6 documentation from?

OK, sorry, you mentioned Managed DX is all.

This Site seems to have the DX6 SDK in various forms, personally 'zipped' seems like the most convenient form to get.

Did the DX6 SDK not ship in a single install file or something?

[edited by - henrym on April 14, 2004 8:26:19 PM]

Thanks for the link! I have a slow download rate as well 20kbs anyway I am not complaining thanks; but do I need the entire SDK? I have the DX9 SDK installed can''t I just use the DX6 documentation and then use that to program for DX6 but still using DX9?

Cheers,
Rob

I currently own Windows '98 and I can assure you it all works fine in DX9 without the .NET framework.

What you may mean is the DX version the OS came with. But I would think any system which plays games in the first place would have the latest version of DirectX anyway. DX9 has been out for a while now...

The older versions (from my experience) are a little harder for beginners because you have more things to worry about, such as DirectDraw, viewports and the like. Not to mention that most people won't help you with your DX6 gripes and just tell you to use DX9.

Stay Clausal,

Red Sodium

[edited by - red_sodium on April 15, 2004 7:27:04 AM]

quote:
Original post by red_sodium
... But I would think any system which plays games in the first place would have the latest version of DirectX anyway...

It really depends what target audience rob is wanting to develop for.

From the what he said is his third post, I assume he is trying to develop for the lower-end systems, for people who can easily just download his game, and have it work.

So are you recommending I use DX9? I don''t need all the power of DX9 because I am a noob at the moment and I am not going to go writing an engine for GTA10 LOL! So I thought if I use an older version then compatibilty will be high and there is no need to download any extra files.

On the other hand I want support while developing my games just in case I run into any problems. So in your experince what is the easiest DX API to learn and the one with the MOST support?

Thanks a lot,
Rob

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!