DX9 PointSprite Size problems

Started by
2 comments, last by mikeschuld 20 years ago
I am trying to update my particle engine to use point sprite sizes within the vertices themselves so they can change size over time. My Particle struct looks like this: private struct ParticleVertex {
public Vector3 v; public float size; public int color; public static readonly VertexFormats Format = VertexFormats.Position | VertexFormats.Diffuse | VertexFormats.PointSize; }; When I render the particles as usual they are tiny 1 pixel things and the number I store for the size actually ends up changing their colors. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The meaning of life is to live, and there's only one way to do it wrong... Michael Schuld - March 25, 2004 [edited by - mikeschuld on April 14, 2004 8:02:03 PM]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Michael Schuld
Advertisement
My experince is that DXPointSprites is only for very small sprites, just a few pixels. So if your texture is 64*64 then it won''t work.
Okay, from my experience your problem lies in the fact that you declare it as having diffuse | size and you have first the float for size and only then the int for color.

If you swap either the diffuse | color OR swap the order of the float size with the int color, your done. Something like this:

private struct ParticleVertex {

public Vector3 v;
public int color; <- Swapped
public float size; <- Swapped

public static readonly VertexFormats Format = VertexFormats.Position | VertexFormats.Diffuse | VertexFormats.PointSize;
};

It actually puzzled me to no avail how could the compiler know what variable meant what in the vertex declaration, until i read somewhere order was important.

Hope this helps.

As for what the AP said, it is not true. I believe it is dependent on the hardware. You should check the device caps.

Joao Correia
It is working now. I put them in the same order as they were before, but i changed a couple of render states to make them work. Thanks for the input guys.

[edited by - mikeschuld on April 15, 2004 9:21:26 PM]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Michael Schuld

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement