• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jvff

What are Shaders?

This topic is 5207 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, This may be a stupid question but I cant seem to understand shaders. Fragment shaders are called after rasterizing? If so, it''s the way for per pixel operations? Does each pixel have the position of the polygon it''s drawing? Any simple tutorial to do some per pixel operations? Thank you, JVFF

Advertisement
To be fair, the forum search feature has been pretty flaky lately.
Here is a link to a recent thread on these forums that discusses shaders. Also we do have a article series here that discusses shaders in DirectX. The first one is here.

Shaders [in terms of Graphics Processing Units] are peices of code that replace the fixed function pipeline.

http://www.3dlabs.com/support/developer/ogl2/presentations/siggraph2003/oglsl.pdf

is a VERY good overview.

That presentation was last year, and a lot of the GLSL support is complete in the [nVidia, ATi] drivers, though not 100% (but SOOON! probably less than a month or so).

They're REALLY cool, good luck =]

--
I am Navreet Gill, and I approve this message.

[edited by - ngill on April 14, 2004 12:25:00 AM]

I''d stay away from the DirectX tutorial, they [Microsoft] change the friggin API every six months, making tutorials obsolete. Also, OpenGL shading language is more powerful, and lets ATi/nVidia do more optimization.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!