Test my UDP network engine!

Started by
5 comments, last by Ardaxus 20 years ago
I''ve just created the first release on my project Tangle. The release is just a simple chat client/server designed to test the UDP networking code I wrote. You can get the zip file with executable and source code at http://sourceforge.net/projects/tanglekit/ You''ll need the .Net framework version 1.1 in order to run this, as it''s written in C#. The program is a special dual client/server in one. In order to act as a client, you start the server first, then "Connect" to somewhere else. It can also connect to itself. There are a few bugs, and how well it performs under heavy loads remains to be seen. Please let me know any bugs you find, specifying what exceptions were thrown. I''m especially interested in bugs that you can reproduce on demand, just let me know where and how to reproduce them. Also, the project is open source, so feel free to do as you wish with the included source code Snowman | Ardaxus | Nathan --------------------------------- Tangle - Persistent World Toolkit tangle.netlab.com.au
Snowman | Ardaxus | Nathan
Advertisement
Very nice

No exceptions thrown, works very nicely. Stress tested the application to about 50 clients, may not be the heavy load you wanted but it still worked great Looked through the code, nicely done. This is'nt a problem, as im guessing it just is'nt added to the app yet, but the Send message to a selected client/server buttons never get enabled. All and all, nice job and keep up the good work!

(edit): Very nice website, and good tutorials.

[edited by - _Twiggie_ on April 15, 2004 1:45:07 AM]
Okay, it just crashed.. Basically, I was just running the server with another instance of the program connected to it. In the server window, I selected the client, wrote some text and tried to sent it to "Selected Client", and then I got this exception:

************** Ausnametext **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Das angegebene Argument liegt außerhalb des gültigen Wertebereichs.
Parametername: '-1' ist kein gültiger Wert für 'index'.
at System.Windows.Forms.ObjectCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)
at TestNetworkNode.Form1.buttonSelectedClient_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Also, after the server went down, I had to restart the client as well, I could not just reconnect. Hm, is it on purpose that only the server receives the message but does not pass it on to the other clients?

[edited by - Wuntvor on April 15, 2004 8:15:48 AM]

[edited by - Wuntvor on April 15, 2004 8:19:25 AM]
Thanks guys!

Wuntvor:
yeah I discovered that myself yesterday. I think it''s actually related to the test program rather than the network code, but I''ll look into it once I finish reinstalling everything on my computer. Windows XP doesn''t like you changing the motherboard and stuff around on it

_Twiggie_:
Thanks fgor doing the load test! How did you test it with so many clients? I''m curious as I''d like to be able to do that myself as I look for places to optimise it.

---------------------------------
Tangle - Persistent World Toolkit
tangle.netlab.com.au
quote:Original post by Ardaxus
_Twiggie_:
Thanks for doing the load test! How did you test it with so many clients? I''m curious as I''d like to be able to do that myself as I look for places to optimise it.

tangle.netlab.com.au

I did''nt necessarily ''stress test it'', especially not by any professional means. I just had 2 seperate pc''s with 25 clients running on each one and observed

Ah ok... how fast were the PCs you were testing them on?

tangle.netlab.com.au
^bump^

Anyone else want to test it? It''s all compiled and ready to run!

tangle.netlab.com.au

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement