• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lightning/Electricity in DirectX?

This topic is 5029 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking to implement some lightning/electricity shocks into my game, and was wondering how this is done. I''m thinking either a billboard sprite or points sprites? Any suggestions/ideas?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You can do it pretty easily (and pretty good looking) using a sprite. Just stretch it and rotate as necessary. This is how they did it with the latest Heroes of Might and Magic.

Thanks. Alright.. that covers the lightning bolt.. how about electricity that envelopes an object/person?

Hmmm....

Perhaps you could switch to wireframe shade mode, scale the model outwards a little bit, and rerender with an ''electric'' color? I think that would give the effect of being ''enveloped'' by an eletric shock. A glow/halo effect might be a good idea as well.

I believe most games just use billboarded sprits for the lightning itself, but one of the cool effects is to use particles being thrown off as random photons.

As for the body, definately try to implement a little glow, but for a full effect you''ll probably have to use a pixel shader to get the little bolts of lighting or whatever to move around on the body. Also if you want the model to do its little spastic thing when it''s hit that will probably take a few extra frames of animation in the model''s file.

• Advertisement