• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimmynelson

New Engine, Feedback please

This topic is 5156 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys I am starting a little open source engine for fun as I am ending my college term pretty soon and thought it best if I work in the game industry to trully know most aspects of an engine. So either way here is a little engine that I was hoping people could test and from the response, I will make it open (hopefully it runs ok for everyone). http://deaddoggeorge.tripod.com/LittleDemoEngine.zip (1.8 meg) It uses my own fairly balanced AABB, my own octree, boned animations with blending, Actors with collision (thus far just the camera is moving with tiny as a non-moving actor), screen capturing, physics, etc... the basics for an engine. It is a windowed 800*600 window. W - makes tiny wave while she runs P - takes a picture Up - Arrow moves

Advertisement
Good start! I can''t find anything really to complain about. You''re doing better than I am at this point. Keep me updated. kc7zax@hotmail.com

I am one of those guys who reads up on all the material and says, "yeah, I could do that." So finally I am was thinking, "can I do it?" So this is about a month in a half in. The collision''s collide and slide needs a little work, but I have removed all large bugs to a minimum it seems. I also need to rewrite the code with much more comments. Then I will go open on the tripplebuffer site, possibly integrated into his already dx wrapper. Check out his site, he gives a good dx init example that is 10 times more readable than the one that is in dx''s common.

http://triplebuffer.devmaster.net/

Here is the jist so far. I have a non-animated mesh class, and a model class (the animated tiny.x). I also have my own AABB tree and Octree. The camera and tiny are actors (just spheres that the engine updates). You give these spheres velocities (currently one is based on the mouse and up arrow) and get data from them (the camera is just one of these sphere positions). The collisions are made once my tree returns possible colliders and then it does a per tri test to get a nice fluid collide and slide (which still needs improvement). The actor system also pays attention to other actors and as of now when it hits another actor it just stops moving (goes back a frame to when it wasn''t hitting them).

C++, hehe why would anyone use C# or VB... jk those both are pretty good.

I just like C++ since it is like the hercules of all languages, it lets you write pure assembler if need be, as well as lets you totally manage mem that will crash your comp. But that kinda power is good, right?

//let me run for a bit
for( ; ; )
{
double *x=new double[10000];
//delete [] x; uh oh!
x=null; //big uh oh!, lost your pointer now
}

[edited by - JimmyNelson on April 15, 2004 12:35:14 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!