• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChrisHurn

Advice? Programming RPG's with DX8.

This topic is 5237 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931841098/qid=1082001419/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8596881-2079250?v=glance&s=books I've been keeping an eye on this book for a long time, and I want to know if this will suit me. I know you're probably sick of newbies with questions like "omglol i no C++ plz teche me 2 maek an rpg!111" but anyway: I have been programming in Visual Basic for about 4 years, and am able to code 2D RPG's, platform games etc...with VB. I understand this book uses C++, so I started learning it about 8-10 months ago. I can write basic programs, and have recently been using SDL to make simple games. What I am asking here, is, how experienced will I need to be for this book? maybe someone has this book and can give some advice. I would do this in VB, but I would rather learn C++, as I prefer that language, over VB. Ultimately, I want to be able to create an FF7 style game. (Pre-rendered backgrounds...similar gameplay etc..) Don't get me wrong, I'm not a little kid who hasnt tried pong before jumping into something this big. I understand the complexity of making a Role Playing Game, and am willing to work as hard as I have to, to achieve this. Also, for someone who has the book - what kind of stuff is in there? maybe a screenshot/description of the sample games etc..? I'm interested to know what I am buying before I buy it. (Since over here in New Zealand, things are usually twice the price or more..compared to USD. Thanks a lot. -Chris <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - ChrisHurn on April 14, 2004 12:11:54 AM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - ChrisHurn on April 14, 2004 12:13:15 AM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - ChrisHurn on April 14, 2004 12:41:50 AM]</SPAN> [Edited by - ChrisHurn on July 15, 2006 10:12:59 PM]

Advertisement
I can hack my way around C++ fairly well, but lately, for 2D stuff, I''ve been loving Java. It''s just so clean, you don''t have to muss about too much making a window, and actually using the Java2D api is really easy.

For books, I really like "Learning Java" by Patrick Niemeyr & Jonathan Knudsen on O''Reilly press. It''s one of the best programming books I''ve read, period. After that, keep a link to the API specifications handy, any time you have a usage question the official API documentation is easy to understand and quick to find answers in.

I got "Learning Java" for $45. Access to the API documentation is free. Also, download the Eclipse IDE, it''s awesome, and will have a lot of features that you are used to form VB (like constant syntax checking).

capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5

quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
I can hack my way around C++ fairly well, but lately, for 2D stuff, I''ve been loving Java. It''s just so clean, you don''t have to muss about too much making a window, and actually using the Java2D api is really easy.

For books, I really like "Learning Java" by Patrick Niemeyr & Jonathan Knudsen on O''Reilly press. It''s one of the best programming books I''ve read, period. After that, keep a link to the API specifications handy, any time you have a usage question the official API documentation is easy to understand and quick to find answers in.

I got "Learning Java" for $45. Access to the API documentation is free. Also, download the Eclipse IDE, it''s awesome, and will have a lot of features that you are used to form VB (like constant syntax checking).

capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5

Thanks, but I''m serious about C++. I don''t really want to learn Java.

-Chris

I totally undersatand you because im more less the same as you. I mean age, programming knowledge and the type of games to do.

Well, i will tell you this. I bought a book for starting with DirectX 8 programming a ships game. That was more than 2 years ago.

anyway. the code included in the book was awfull, terrible. It was hard to understand, but it has excellent theory. Thanks that i could learn a lot of backgound, mainloop, sprites, etc.

with all this i recomend you to try the book. maybe you wont find as good as you want but it most contain the basics for the role play games.

And also. Try to buy it on the internet, because i saw the things were not good in your country(economical).

Ok well, so good luck, ill also buy it but not now.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!