Connecting 2 virtual networks

Started by
4 comments, last by tieTYT 20 years ago
Sorry, i know when it comes to networking (like everything else) nobody will understand your problem unless you use the correct terminology. Since i''m not sure if i will be using the correct terminology, let me just describe the situation in some detail: I live in an apt with 3 roommates, all of us have computers, but there''s only one ip addressed assigned to all of us by our cable modem company. So what we''ve done is bought a hub/router that takes the true ip address and every computer uses a fake IP address behind this router to connect to the internet. I"m sure this is a common thing, i just didn''t want to call it the wrong thing on accident. Now, the rest of my teammates may have exactly the same situation. We plan to make a game and we want it to be network capable (multiplayer). Is such a thing possible? What (keywords) do i need to research in order to get this working correctly? And also, since we''re not just making this game for ourselves, how do we make it so people that do not have fake IP addresses can connect to each other and connect to people that do have fake IP addresses? We plan to code it in C# or C++. If i haven''t given enough information please tell me and i''ll try to add more detail. Thanks everyone.
Advertisement
Your router uses "Network Address Translation" commonly abbreviated as NAT. If your router supports "port forwarding" (and there''s no reason it shouldn''t) you should be able to host a game from behind the router properly. Searches on the quoted terms should give you a good place to start.
I asked this on another thread but didn''t get an answer:
So this is a lil confusing to me: If anyone behind a NAT has ever used AIM to try to send someone a file, it OFTEN fails, especially if it is being sent to someone that is also behind a NAT. Now does AIM often fail because the developers of it happened to miss these articles or are there just situations that exist where a peer-to-peer connection simply isn''t possible?
Especially with NAT boxes there are some problems. Might be that the NAT box has a firewall which just blocks those kind of packets (file transfers using AIM).

edit: as far as i can remember, outgoing connections from behind a NAT shouldn't be a problem, whereas incoming connections aren't possible. someone correct me if i'm wrong ...

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

[edited by - Indeterminatus on April 15, 2004 2:59:07 PM]
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
yes, this is what i would like confirmed: What are the situations where it is not possible to establish a connection?
Look at this thread going on right now!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement