• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting to learn Game_Design: C++ or C# ¿?

This topic is 5056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a beginner, programmed some little apps with visual basic and delphi but for the game making Im totally n00b... I want to buy 2 books, 1 for instructions how to make games & 1 for learning the programming language. It is costy to begin, with the books I spend more then €100,- so I want to know if it is really the good path. Should I learn C++ or C# ? And what are the exact differences? D

Advertisement
Hello!
Glad you made it here (GameDev.Net)..

C# is a new programming language, and it seems that IT HAS FAILED!
almost no one want to program in C#..

C++ is much much better, and it''s the language of proffesional Game programming.

I would recommend that you choose any two books you like from this page "http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/", since they''re all the best books!

Happy Gamee Programming!

quote:
Original post by nectron101
Hello!

C++ is much much better, and it''s the language of proffesional Game programming.

I would recommend that you choose any two books you like from this page "http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/", since they''re all the best books!

Happy Gamee Programming!

Welcome to flameland.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

quote:

OMG, I''m reading things... I really should sleep!

quote:
Hello!

C++ is much much better, and it's the language of proffesional Game programming.

I would recommend that you choose any two books you like from this page "http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/", since they're all the best books!

Happy Gamee Programming!

NO way at all is C# a Failed Language. C# is a excelent language to start programming on even for games. It has some faults but you must remember that the language has not matured just yet as it newborn. C++ has many many many years over C#. With some time C# will mature more. in 2005 it will hit 2.0 and will introduce some new features that will make it even better for all programming senarios including Games. Also as time goes by things will be optimised even more and they will be faster. I say that in about 5 - 7 years or a little bit sooner you will see a game in C# come out on the shelves.

quote:
I am a beginner, programmed some little apps with visual basic and delphi but for the game making Im totally n00b...

I want to buy 2 books, 1 for instructions how to make games & 1 for learning the programming language.

It is costy to begin, with the books I spend more then €100,- so I want to know if it is really the good path.

Should I learn C++ or C# ? And what are the exact differences?

You can really learn either of the languages. You will find C# easier to learn but as I said above it is a new language that will mature over time. Also a + over C++ is that in C# you don't have to worry about memory management. However, you do have some control over whent things are realeased by using IDisposable. C++ is also a great language that is really mature and has been being used for games for a long time now. C++ you must manage memory thus increasing the chances of leeks. But if you are carefull with your pointers C++ can work wonders. But C++ is harder to learn.

But what it comes down to is how well you learn, how dedicated you are, your buget, and you own personal perference.

With C++ you can get free compilers. For instance Dev-C++ IDE. With C# the compiler is 100% free always. However you can purchace VS.Net IDE for huge chunk of money or you can use the free SharpDevelop. Borland also has a IDE called C# Builder.
Or you can use a text editor.

Remember do what you want and something you know you will learn well so you have a edge to make a good game that will be successful.

[Edit:] Fixed a few spelling errors

[edited by - TheNobleOne on April 15, 2004 7:03:14 AM]

quote:

*hits head on desk*
I can''t believe that people are STILL posting crap/flamebait like this!!

Anyway, Mrduckels, APART from the C# is better than C++ crap I agree with nectron101, check out the book listing here on GameDev. Unless you want to get into industry ASAP I''d recommend you go with C#, a lot of people (myself included) find it faster/easier to develop with so you''ll be able to focus more on game development rather than the intricicies (sp?) of the language.

Also, if you plan on having any windows GUI components in your game then C# is MUCH nicer.

Games are written in C++ and assembly, period!
Wether C# is nicer or not doesn''t matter much if you plan to work professionally as a game coder.

As a hobbyist you can choose whatever you like but please remember that the Java vs C++ was discussed a few years back with the same arguments yet still no games are written in Java (aside from phone/pda games).

look around the net for some online books - they''re fairly easy to come by (c++ etc. books that is). some are massive like 200 MS Word pages long! about language - chose which ever you like and can work with best. if u go pro, then u can migrate to the other if need be. personally id go with c++ but thats cause i learnt it first up and its honestly not that hard to grasp the basics.
still, the choice is up to you

"Did you hear the one about the nun and the rabbi?"
JUST PRINT (typed)
"Okay, okay, Asshole!!" - Wrongfully Accused

Hey thnx for all the posts, *Phew* I took the right decision by buying c++ books...

Got: ''Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus'' by Ándre Lamothe And ''C++ a dialog'' by Steve Heller.

These books (and myself :D) must prepare me for a good game-programming life, which will succeed for if I want something I will do it, TiMe is No Bother,

So maybe in a few months Í will give advice Thnx for the postst.

D

• Advertisement