Developing applications in OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by owl 19 years, 12 months ago
I''m writing a multiplatform application development library. It can be used to do window management, create user interfaces and controls. I''ve been thinking about making it all run with OpenGL, just like Blender3D does. Can you, off the top of your head, point out any pros/cons about this aproach? thanks.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
Pro - cross-platform == swanky
Con - already been done with Qt, GTK, GLUT, and some others I can''t be bothered to remember.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
anybody else?
Con: OpenGL drivers don''t ship with about 35% of all new PCs sold (the ones based on Intel motherboard chipsets). These chipsets are plenty fast for what you want to do, but your program won''t run on one until the user tracks down the necessary OpenGL driver (and most of them won''t bother).
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Con: OpenGL drivers don''t ship with about 35% of all new PCs sold (the ones based on Intel motherboard chipsets). These chipsets are plenty fast for what you want to do, but your program won''t run on one until the user tracks down the necessary OpenGL driver (and most of them won''t bother).

Why do you post as anonymous?

Is that accurate? What are your sources?
He probably posted anonymously because he doesn''t have a login. Lots of people don''t, you know... :D

As mentioned, the biggest problem with this is that it''s already been done. GLUT and GLUI provide exactly what you''re talking about, and they''ve used by many many people and are known to be pretty much bug-free.

If you''re serious about a project like this, you need to look at what else is out there that''s similar and decide *why* your project is worth doing. Are you going to provide more features, run on more hardware, run faster, provide better documentation, release it under a different licence, target a different type of developer, provide a nicer API?

--cfmdobbie
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If you're serious about a project like this, you need to look at what else is out there that's similar and decide *why* your project is worth doing. Are you going to provide more features, run on more hardware, run faster, provide better documentation, release it under a different licence, target a different type of developer, provide a nicer API?

The idea is to write a library to develop very good looking object oriented/multiplaform applications. I don't want to sell the library, but to use it to develop applications of my own, comercial or freeware.

I know there are a lot of libraries that do this, but it just happen that I don't like how they look and/or how they feel.

I'm playing with the idea of making the UI work in 3D, like a "first person" 3D file browser, for example. I think that could be cool and I have not seen anything like that yet.

[edited by - owl on April 17, 2004 7:01:03 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement