• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alnite

difference between aux and glut

This topic is 5351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just read the OpenGL Redbook and it explains how to use aux*() functions that basically a window wrapper. So I am wondering then what''s the difference between aux and glut, which is also a window wrapper.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure aux is win32 only. GLUT is cross platform. Having avoided both as much as possible, I couldn't say what the differences are exactly, but the libraries are not completely equivilant. GLUT has a lot of features which AUX doesn't have, and vice versa (AUX's bitmap font handling comes to mind). Anyway, AUX is depreciated, so don't use it.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on April 15, 2004 3:55:05 PM]

okay, thanks.

quote:
Original post by benjamin bunny
Having avoided both as much as possible, I couldn''t say what the differences are exactly

I am curious, why have you been avoiding both? They make your games cross-platform.

If I wanted cross-platform games, I''d use SDL, or I''d just make the the window creation part of my app cross platform. GLUT is not suitible for large projects. It''s great for getting small apps up and running, but it''s highly restrictive in terms of input, window setup etc, and the callback mechanism just isn''t geared towards games.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!