• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help test my DirectX skills (version 2)

This topic is 5052 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've had a lot of trouble in the past with getting my DirectX programs to run on other people's systems, so I'm trying to find the problem with my code. First I want to see how many people have trouble with it so I can gauge if it's really a problem at all. What I want to do is have you guys test a very simple program (one that just draws an image) to find out how often it won't run and hopefully why. If I need to, I'll update this with a new version that has more features and things as needed as needed. So what I'm looking for is this: 1. Grab the app and see if it runs right. 2. Post your results here or email me. Include the version number of the app you tried, your system specs, and how it ran according to the details below. I have a log file in this first version, but it's not very detailed. I'll build it up in later versions if I need to. If you're wondering, I'm working on a 2D sidescrolling action game, so if I get a good response from this testing thread you just might be able to watch the whole game come together in these updates. Thanks for your time. Version 1: creates a window and draws clouds on a blue background. Version 2: I've added a simple map object. It loads the map's properties from a .map file. You can scroll the map around on the screen. It's a simple text file, so some of you more adventuresome people might try editing the .map file for some extra testing fun. I've also added customizable controls through DirectInput. It uses controls.ini. Each control in the list can have 1 or 2 keys associated with it. The controls for scrolling the map are LEFT, RIGHT, CLIMB and CROUCH. [edited by - Naaga on April 15, 2004 5:37:55 PM] [edited by - Naaga on April 23, 2004 2:18:48 PM]

Advertisement
You might want to change the title of the thread. Right now it just looks like one of the test-if-I-can-do-html posts just from the thread title.

works, but has some issues:

- Crashes if it can''t load the image.
- How on earth did you create a 928 kb exe from that? I have the source to a commerical game with 160,000 lines that compiles to 912kb.

quote:
Original post by Melekor
the source to a commerical game with 160,000 lines that compiles to 912kb.

That game is awsome high res graphics with a very small file. Those peoples goal was to make it really small.
If were talking about the same thing....

the cloud thing works.

I guess you have never heard of .The.Product Those guys are insane. They make 64kb demos, in full 3D with hi-res textures, one even has a voice synth and a high poly animated 3D model.. They truly pwn:

http://www.theproduct.de/

I allways suspect that thoe little 64k programs just download stuff from the internet, and then display it
but you know that the program is highly compressed?
I tried to WINRAR it with the "best" option, the size increased.

Of course, but ontop of that, it doesn't store images and such. Instead of storing graphics, it stores a set of instructions to create the graphics. After that, its no problem rendering the output to a 256x256x32 texture

Besides, winrar sucks They use their own custom compression system.

[edited by - Dreq on April 19, 2004 9:17:17 AM]

quote:
Original post by Melekor
- How on earth did you create a 928 kb exe from that? I have the source to a commerical game with 160,000 lines that compiles to 912kb.

I probably forgot to compile for release instead of debug. I won''t forget again.

Thanks all for helping me out!

Runs fine on my computer, the only problem is that it has some artifacts:

These lines change position when I scroll (in a seemingly random pattern), but they are always there.

EDIT: This is on a Radeon 9800 Pro...

[edited by - Wuntvor on April 24, 2004 4:57:13 AM]

...hmmm.... Haven't seen that yet... thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Wuntvor, what video card do you have?

[edited by - Naaga on April 23, 2004 5:37:41 PM]

Just had an idea and I know now where it comes from.. If I set anti-aliasing to 2x it works, on 4x and 6x it doesn''t.

• Advertisement