Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] java IDE?

This topic is 5023 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I am registered for a java class next fall and also a lab to go along with it and a friend gave me the course book so I could get a jump start. I have never used or even looked at java before. I am not sure what is the best free ide out there. I have heard of a couple such as netbeans and forte for java. The book comes packaged with forte for java but you dont have to use that for the class. Anyone recommend a good free ide for a beginner to the language. I have forte installed and all of the different optioons looks overwhelming to say the least.

Eclipse has gotten some very good reviews; it''s a very nice system, but I haven''t used it enough to comment either way. Not sure how good it would be for a beginner, however.

Personally, I used Scite + javac and some batch files. Doesn''t get much simpler than that, and it was enough for the simple stuff we had to write.

Netbeans is a great IDE...I use it all the time. If you want a really simple one though, check out www.textpad.com.

Eclipse is an excellent IDE. Certainly for more experienced programmers, who will appreciate its advanced refactoring ability and other features which enable you to write code quickly.

We''re not just talking method name completion here - its editor actually *knows* what you want (some of the time anyway).

The UI is not entirely intuitive, but worth it. Very powerful.

Mark

Someone on an online game recommended jbuilder. I started the download before I checked here. Do you guys know anything about jbuilder or if it is suitable for a beginner?

JBuilder and Eclipse are pretty much the 2 best ones out there. They are pretty comparable. Each one does some features better than the other. Pick one and learn it to do your course, then once you are comfortable with Java you can try the other one.

First make it work, then make it fast. --Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte

I''ve used Eclipse and didn''t like it too much at the time, I use netBeans now and like it quite a bit.
Lets see, when I first learnt java as a frosh i had to use some simplistic POS Bluej ( http://www.bluej.org/ ) Not too bad for the very basic beginner, but then not all that great either. Very simplistic, very few things to have to mess with.

-Taking over the universe one sector at a time-

quote:
Original post by Pixel_Sticks
Well I am registered for a java class next fall and also a lab to go along with it and a friend gave me the course book so I could get a jump start. I have never used or even looked at java before. I am not sure what is the best free ide out there.

For you Notepad or simillar. Don''t forget to learn classpath setup (by -cp) and use of .cmd files (or Unix versions)
Sometimes people that used IDE didn''t learn how to compile without IDE when needed.

Well, at work I use IntelliJ IDEA from Jetbrains. It''s not free, but they have what they call an ''Early Access Program'' or EAP, which you can use for free. It''s actually some kind of beta program for their next release. You can find more information here: IntelliJ EAP program. You have to register though to be able to download the EAP.

I like this IDE a lot. The first few weeks, you''ll be amazed by the type of things they all support and you will discover new features every day. I also used Eclipse, which seems to have similar features, but I still found IntelliJ more intuitive and it also just looks better.

Caveat: Any Java IDE written in Java requires a fairly powerful system to run at decent speed. That''s where JCreator excels, being written in C++ and a totally native app. The downside is that it''s Windows-only, IIRC.

This topic is 5023 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.