• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Basic

Recommendations

This topic is 5209 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello GameDev community, I''m really interested in getting involved with gaming. More specifically, game development tools. This includes anything from world editors or 3D graphic creation. I''m looking for some recommendations on some books for programming. Specifically, I want to find some good books that will cover the topics of... -Animation Programming(Whether theory or actual algrithms) -World Building(Anything from theory to heightmaps or even matrices!) -3D Modeling(Anything about geometry or computer graphics) I''m also going to order this book, because I know it''ll help me in the fields I''m currently interested in getting into. "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development" My current development tools consist of... - OpenGL 1.4 - Visual C++ 6.0 Any suggustions on some good books or even links are appreciated. Please also consider that I''m just getting into these fields as far as actually building my own application. Thanks for your help, and it''s very appreciated.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I have the book, it has all the algorithms you will ever want and then some, but get something else or do a lot of online searching or you''ll be lost in the dark! Most of the stuff you want to know benefits a LOT from knowing other, simpler concepts. Don''t do anything untill you understand what vectors and matricies, and possibly quaternions, are. Heightmaps and other geometry representations are fun, but write a little in OpenGL or Direct3D first and play around with algorithms. Don''t jump in there and play with the numbers from one of NeHe''s tutorials. Not only will you loose all of the pretty pictures, you will get way confused in the process. Learn the basics, walk the forums, read the literature. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for the replies,

I''m fairly good with my vector math and have a hold of matrices. I also agree that GameTutorials is an excellent site for that''s where I''ve learned my C++. As far as OpenGL goes, I bought the book "OpenGL Game Programming" and am working through steadily.

Once I finish the book though, I will (and am already starting to) be very familiar with the Open Graphics Library.

Animation of objects and making worlds are so briefly covered in the book it''s not much to build on. So I''d like a book that can start a beginner like me(with some knowledge) into getting into these fields.

Thank you for your help

If your working with OGL, and would like to try some more actual coding examples, Nehe supposedly (havnt tried them myself, learning DirectX first) has excellent tutorials, going from very basic to fairly advanced. I''d highly advise doing the basic ones first - even if you think they cover things you already know, its probably worth it, as you''ll most likely learn something new.

When you''re ready, for animation I receommend "Real-Time 3D Character Animation with Visual C++" which is a great beginner book ( it cover about everything, from inverse and foward Kinematic, Keyframe animation, morph, collision ( a bit out of scope ... ) and even show you how to do a motion capture device ). The book comes with a cd and the exemple are using OpenGL.

Gizz

Excellent, thanks for the advice.

NeHe is definitly a great resource. I''m especially enjoying a few of the tutorials such as the collision and the terrain ones they''ve provided.

Keep the suggustions coming.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!