Collision Detection / Bounding Box

Started by
5 comments, last by MajinMusashi 20 years ago
Hi! Smee again My game will be (it''s only a dream by now) an 3d adventure somewhat similar to classics like Resident Evil and Grim Fandango, and will have some rooms which contains: - A static background image; - A invisible map that will limit player''s movimentation over the fake 3D room; - Itens (actually 3D models); - Some NPCs; As a newbie game programmer, I ask for help on the following topics: - How to create bounding boxes (algorithms, implementations, tutorials) for my itens/characters; - Collision Detection using these bounding boxes (and also collision between character/rooms... the player can''t sink into the ground, ok Details: - rooms, itens and NPCs will be static. Just the main character will move. - as far as I understood about the sources I''ve read, all the boxes will be type AABB (Axis Aligned Bounding Box), with its lateral edges forming an 90º angle with the ground. Thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
Look in the articles and resources section of the site under "game programming". There are some articles on AABB collision detection. Good luck!!
www.lefthandinteractive.net
Try a simpler game first. That way you''ll notice how hard it is to complete a simpler game and you will have a hint on how hard it is for one person to make a game like the ones you mention.

There is (I think) an article called "game complete" somewhere in the articles section. That''s a very very good read for a begginer.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Thanks, Owl and Jon!
I''m not a complete newbie (already finished one 2D-samurai-fighting-game-like-bust-a-move-for-PSX), but in some aspects like 3D collision-detection I know almost nothing.
Actually the design stage is over in my project (lots of sheets and drafts, but nothing official) and it seems pretty good (thanks Design Patterns!!). The implementation stage is going very slow, but MD2 models, OBJ maps and GameState/sub-GameState logic is ok, too. So, I think I can finish it at all...
A Google search on collision detection only brings me complicated master-thesis, papers and so on, and I need a really really simple solution on box-box collision detection. The simpler I could find was an article hosted on Gamasutra, and that was still complicated (I think).
Anyway, thanks for your help!

PS.: I''m still accepting sugestions
PS2.: English is not my native language (serious?!)
Flawless 3D collision detection isn''t "easy". You should read some tut about linear algebra first in order to assimilate and be able to solve problems that may eventually arise in your code.

I''m making a breakout clone, and I never thought I would have so much fun (and frustration) trying to put things to work efficiently.

This thread is currently in the active topics list. It may help you to start.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I''ve got a couple of demos if you''re interested. however, I''ll probably have to guide you through them. There''s one that would mostly interest you, that I posted on Flipcode, COTD (code of the day). it''s still the current COTD, since the COTDs have been put on hold for a while.

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/olivierrenault/
that''s my homepage, my demo junkyard. links 7 and nine is what would vaguely resemble to what you are looking for.

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=COTD-3dpongcoll&forum=cotd&id=-1

that''s the COTD. it does box collisions, oriented box collisions (for the more advanced demo), sphere collisions as well. that''s demo #7. As I said, I''ll probably have to talk you through it. Drop me a mail if you are interested. If you only want to do boxes, and just constrain them so they stop intersecting (no or very litle physics) it will be a lot simpler than what you can see there. I hope you like vector maths though

Everything is better with Metal.

Olii,
this night I''ll read carefully all of your demos. And yes, I need _ONLY_ fixed size boxes... will contact you soon.

Owl,
good luck!

Thanks!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement