• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hi want to learn

This topic is 5117 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i want to learn how to program simple direct x things so i can start making a game. can someone show me how to program a couple basic things, i appreciate it. thanks. Carmen

Advertisement
Start with any of the tutorial sites found here. Also, if you want to get into D3D, make sure you learn some graphics theory first. It will help you tremendously.

thanks guy. hows direct x different from direct 3d. a game like counter-strike is made off direct x am i right? but in video options they give u an option for "Open GL, Direct 3D, and software mode" what are these?

DirectX includes Direct3D as well as many other components including:
DirectAudio (DirectSound + DirectMusic)
DirectPlay
DirectShow
DirectInput
and of course Direct3D
(DirectDraw in versions 7 and less)

wow you''re really good at this. is there a way you can tell me a little more about direct x through aim or something. I''d really appreciate it. thanks.

First, you should learn to program before you jump into DirectX (if you have already, sorry). Direct3D is an API for 3d drawing while DirectX is a group of API''s covering everything from graphics to input to networking etc. Direct3D is one component of DirectX. For your other question, counterstrike can draw the graphics three ways: it uses DirectX, OpenGL (another 3d graphics library), or does all the 3d math itself (software mode). Hope that helped

yeah its been helpful. actually i know a little c++. if you gave me some code i might be able to analyze it. but i won''t be able to memorize. i use visual studio.net compiler.

You should check out the sites in the link circlesoft posted above. There are a lot of good (and free) resources available. It will take time and effort but when you have questions there is a strong community to help. Try to have specific questions and provide detail on your problem and you will usually get an answer within a day or 2.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

• Advertisement