Map Editor

Started by
7 comments, last by ETFBlade 19 years, 12 months ago
Hi all, I''m looking to build an isometric tile-based game this year for my 2nd year project. However, one of the first things I want to do is build a capable and easy to use map editor. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get examples and tutorials on how to build an iso map editor? Thanks guys!
Advertisement
I would just use a text editor. At least initially.

Text editors edit tilemaps, which is basically what you want.

If you want it to seem more isometric, get a laptop and put the screen flat out and look at it from a corner

Mark
i''d Suggest you build the Tile Engine first, then the editor.
Start off with plain text files as your map files, or just a static map(Hardcoded into your app).
But basicly you need to know off
Tile maps, Isometric Algorithms, And a good imagination :D

Cheers
Obviously use hard-coded tile maps while you''re developing your basic engine before you get on to map editors.

I always do that

Mark
I'd say it depends on how advanced your tile engine is going to be. I am planning on having pictures that span more than one tile, tiles and pictures that can be stacked on top of eachother, over-hangs etc... it can become very tiresome to try out every combination without a proper tile editor. I even find it pretty tough with a tile editor.

But for a one layered engine I would imagine that a text editor would be the way to go, atleast for starters.

-----------------------------

[edited by - Herr_O on April 18, 2004 3:46:57 AM]

Check out this article
http://www.paranoidproductions.com/gamedesign/pdfs/GameDesignChapter19.pdf
It's a PDF version of the popular Gamasultra's "Designing Design Tools" article, which is a chapter taken from
Game Design: Theory and Practice." I'm sure that you'll find it useful.

[edited by - ChronosVagari on April 18, 2004 12:11:48 PM]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The only thing better than word-play is playing with words involving word-play. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks guys. I appreciate the posts.

And yes, I am planning to do more than a one-layered map, so something more than a text editor will be required.

Thanks for the links and info!
dont worry A Map editor until you got your engine up and runnnig at some level
A simple map editor can be as easy as translating a mouse click on the screen to a map coordinate and setting a value in an array. Most of it depends on your idea of what a "tile" is. Once you figure out what you want a tile to consist of, you can associate a tile with an image. It is common to have different tiles sharing the same image i.e. doors so try not to confuse the word tile with an image. A simple map can consist of a 2d array of tiles. Deciding on how to save/load the individual tile information and map dimensions is up to you but for the most part, once you figure out how to save a 2d array of integers and read them back in the same order, saving/loading tile information isn''t much of a stretch from there.

Evillive2
Evillive2

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement