OpenGL rendering in the X Root window

Started by
1 comment, last by The_Nerd 20 years ago
Does any body know how to access the "root window" (background) in X (XFree server??? Don''t know how else to word it), so it can be rendered to with OpenGL? I know it can be done. But how? I would rather not use motif by the way. ------------------------------------------------------- It said "Requires Windows 98 or better", so I installed Linux.
-- I waz here --
Advertisement
well. how about XRootWindow(pDisplay, 0), and then bind your GL context to that window?

that might work okay if you don''t have window manager/desktop environment running.

linux usually only has one visual depth, but the root window might not be using a GL capable visual on it, so you might need to do something fancy like

XCreateWindow( parent is root window, override redirect is true)
// so that the window manager doesn''t manage it.
then
XRestackWindows(..) so that your new window between your root window and all other windows...

if you are running a desktop environment, then they probably create their own root window... so you might be okay with the same procedure, restacking your window right above their desktop window but before their icons, if you can figure out which is their root window.

some things to try, anyways.

Thanks a bunch. But I already figured it out (Thanks to NeHe) :D

-------------------------------------------------------
It said "Requires Windows 98 or better", so I installed Linux.
-- I waz here --

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement