• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious DX trouble - please help

This topic is 5026 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi @ll, my newest DX9-App compiles and links without any error messages. But when I try to run the app, nothing happens. The app simply doesn''t start. All I get is output from my memory-logger. Here''s an excerpt: ENTER: new ENTER: m_allocator() 00001 ??(00000)::?? new : 40 bytes !Random faiure! Request for allocation failed. Out of memory. EXIT : m_allocator() EXIT : new ENTER: new ENTER: m_allocator() 00002 ??(00000)::?? new : 15 bytes !Random faiure! Request for allocation failed. Out of memory. EXIT : m_allocator() EXIT : new ENTER: new ENTER: m_allocator() 00003 ??(00000)::?? new : 15 bytes !Random faiure! Request for allocation failed. Out of memory. That logfile is over 3mb. Literally it means that every single variable I declare fails to allocate the needed memory. When I step the app, the debugger says "access violation" in file "ntdll.dll" and some kernel32.dll stuff ... gee. Before you ask: I have both legal copies of WinXP Home SP1 and VC6, so that isn''t the matter. I tried it with my old VC5 ... it''s the same. Does anybody have a clue ? I''d appreciate it very much. Bye, Leoric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
I aplogize if you already tried this, but you didn''t mention it, so here goes.

When you get the access violation, click OK, then look in your call stack window, this will show you the stack of function calls that were made up to the point where the app crashed. You can quickly go into the function by double clicking on it in the call stack window, there you can look at the code and see what could be causing the crash.

If you feel it''s a DirectX related crash, you could enable the DirectX debug drivers from the control panel (double click on the directx icon) and set the debug output levels to high.

good luck.



Visual
visual@spheregames.com
http://www.spheregames.com


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do you use OgreMemoryManager? It seems like it supports testing the robustness of you application, by sometimes, at random, failing to allocate memory. This can be a good way to test how your application runs when not enough memory is available.

However, if you do not want that, look for some #define called STRESS_TEST, RANDOM_FAILURE or something similar and remove it.

It is kind of hard to run an application when every memory allocation fails.

/EliasAE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

thankx for replying.

@VisualLR: I think I should try that. I''ll post again as soon as I know what is causing the trouble.

@EliasAE: Well, even if I compile with a disabled memory manager the EXE won''t start.

Before I forget: Earlier, I tested my code without any DX-calls. Compile ...OK, link ...FINE. But won''t run, too. So it''s no DX matter.

Bye,
Leoric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement