• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference in Degrees...

This topic is 5027 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m just starting out and I want to know what''s the difference between a Software Engineer and a Computer Programmer. I thik for a Software Engineer you would probably Major in Engineering or Computer Engineering and to be a Computer Programmer you can major in Computer Science. Does anyone know the diffrences??? And also what did you people major in and what job position do you have know??? Thanks

Advertisement
A Software Engineer is a programmer - they know nothing about hardware. Generally a Software Engineer knows more about practical applications than a Computer Scientist. The Computer Scientist, on the other hand, usually know more theory than the Software Engineer. A Computer Engineer knows more about interfacing software with hardware.

job requirements will usually list something like "BS Computer Science or equivalent"

Generally, SE is equivalent. (at least, it would seem so... anyone say for sure?)

im getting a bachelers degree in Computer Information Systems.... anyway, we learn pretty much 50/50 programming and 50/50 networking.... like half my classes are programming classes, and the other half is networking/systems analaysis/linux administration/ETC. im pretty sure this would be "an equivalent of CS". i know you asked about CS and CE but dont forget about CIS

So would a BS in computer science be the way to go for being a programmer in the game industry?

lol, sorry, I guess that wasn't answering his question, but I was just curious.

[edited by - andyZER0 on April 15, 2004 11:41:20 PM]

I see the difference as being the difference between an engineer and a tradesman.

A tradesman (for the most part) won''t know the details of building a complete building/car/whatever - they just know their one part of the process, be it masonry, carpentry, glazing, welding, etc.

An engineer (for the most part) won''t know the details of the construction process - they just make sure it''ll stand up, run, or whatever it''s supposed to do. They give the blueprints to the tradesmen, and the tradesmen build it. They expect the tradesman to know what they are doing, and the tradesman expect the engineers to know what they are doing.

In SE and CS, there is a lot more overlap. Most SEs know how to program, and most CSs know a little about design. As they say, however, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Better to pick which one you prefer - coding or design - and specialize, but make sure you know what the other side is doing (Most tradesmen hate engineers, since the engineers don''t know what tradesmen do, and v.v.).

For my SE degree, we take quite a few CS courses, as well as some computer and electrical engineering courses - a little bit of everything. However, I''m only half done, so I''m not really sure how effective an approach that is .

Note that C.I.S. is different from C.S, with more practical current skills, but less of a foundation to stand on five years from now.

C.S. is a good degree for game programming. However, Math, or possibly E.E. would also be good. All the good graphics and physics for games these days are HEAVILY math dependent.

• Advertisement