• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anything happen to DirectDraw?

This topic is 5124 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I keep reading about how DirectDraw died after directx7, is that true? I know nothing about directx obviously, so I was curious... if DirectDraw is dead, what''s with the DirectDraw library when people use C# and Managed DirectX? So does Microsoft still support it? I wouldn''t want to take the time to learn how to use DD if they are no longer going to update it (I also heard there are a lot of annoying bugs, so if those aren''t going to be fixed... that''s not good). I want ease of use, none of that "use 3D to do 2D". I''m writing a large but very simple sprite-based game, so the performance boost isn''t important to me. This is all I need: To be able to draw an image on the screen from a file and mouse/keyboard handling. That''s all. What language and/or libraries do you suggest I use given this info? All I want are some opinions and to help clear up my confusion. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
DirectX uses COM so any previous versions can still be accessed. Yes, direct draw can still be used in Dx8 and Dx9. Just link to ddraw.lib and include ddraw.h.

DirectDraw will be able to draw a image, and DirectInput will cover mouse/keyboard handling. Besides DirectX, some libraries I''ve heard of are SDL and Allegro which (to my knowledge) are simpler to use than straight DirectX.

For 2d rendering there are lots and lots of options. I currently use HGE. If you know C++ then there are enough tutorials and examples on the website to get you up and running in no time.
[url]http://hge.relishgames.com/index.html[/url]

<< This is all I need: To be able to draw an image on the screen from a file and mouse/keyboard handling. >>

Then Win GDI will be fine. Unless you are doing a side-scroller where every tile on the screen needs to be smoothly moved. Then for speed, use DirectDraw. I''m told DX 9 has even easier set up if you wanna do 2D, but haven''t looked into that yet. For keyboard, GetAsyncKeyState works fine. You can read the mouse inside your WinProc with Win32. No need for DirectInput, but it gives you more options.

Here is my megaman animation, loads .bmp from a resource, and uses double-buffer, both GDI and DDraw versions.

GDI version | EXE
DDraw version | EXE

Change where you see "MAKEINTRESOURCE" to the file name in quotes, and you can use GDI or DDraw with .bmp files instead of resources.

Phil P

• Advertisement