C# as a scripting parser

Started by
2 comments, last by Drakkcon 20 years ago
I was lurking in flame threads, C# vs. C++; vets. confusing n00bs "C# is really slow, you''ll never make a good game with it" or " C++ is too hard, you''ll never learn it, and every program you make will have memory leaks ''cause there''s no garbage collector". Well, I really wanted to participate, but I didn''t know C# well enough to diss it. I set out learning it. Then I realized that while slow, C# would make an excellent scripting parser! Garbage collection, rather high runtime speed (about 15% slower than C++, still fast), and ease of programming (rapid development) made it perfect for scripting use (note, the easy part is what turned me on )! I want to hear what you guys think. Would C# make a good programming language to program script parsers in?
Advertisement
Why would you program a script parser in a language that is just-in-time compiled? Essentially, you can use the language itself as script, compiling it just before execution. Further, you can use several languages to extend it, thanks to the .NET Framework''s language agnosticism.

This thread covers the topic and includes an example of using JScript.NET as a scripting language.
That''s interesting, thank you.
I find C# to be too verbose to be an efficient scripting language. Consider Python, Ruby, Lua or others instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement