Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting the error output from DX9

This topic is 5025 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve heard people several times talk about the wonderful error reporting capabilities of DirectX 9 (summer update). How do I tap in to this? Do I have to call a function to log errors/progress? (DXTrace) Is there a special program I can call to make sure that all my devices/interfaces are released/cleaned up? "Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."

If you use the Debug Runtime, DX will output all errors to the debug spew. It will tell you not only that a function failed, but *why* it failed as well.

Using the DXTRACE* functions will let you output stuff to the debug spew or pop up a message box but the main thing you want to do is to use the Debug Runtime when developing so that DX will tell you why your functions have failed.

neneboricua

Thanks guys. I was missing the key component to all this... MSVC++. Thanks to DrunkenHyena for the pointer to DebugView. Looks like a life-saver since I'm trying to use all free tools for now (Borland Command line compiler, gnu make, etc.)

"Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."

[edited by - TreborZehn on April 16, 2004 8:48:59 AM]

DebugView is a great little tool. It has 2 features I love:
1) Filters to remove stuff you know you don''t want to see
2) Log to disk. When debugging full-screen crashes, this is your friend.

It can do remote logging to another PC too.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena