• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nomz

What's Wrong with C#

This topic is 5284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Respected Programmers ! I have read all the flame wars on gamedev.net about C# vs C++ but in none of the posts it was mention why you can''t develop Quake 3 in C# . Or can we !! This posts is not to start a flame war again but i need to get educated about the real problem with C# ( if it has )while using it to develop FPS Games. Thank you. All the answers are highly appreciated. Note:Sorry for grammatical mistakes english is my second language Attitude is one thing which makes a big difference.

Advertisement
Don''t believe everything you hear dude. This C# vs. C++ war going on is kinda like the Linux vs. Windows war, it really depends on your viewpoint. The major arguments against C# is that is CAN be slower than C++ and that is a completely Microsoft made language.

The first argument, about the speed issue, was used when C++ was first introduced also...when games were made in assembly language. The deal with this is that C# is slower than C++ because it is more abstracted but computers are becomming so fast that it doesnt matter, or at least it won''t matter soon in the future.

The advantage of using C# us that it is easier to write and maintain a C# based program when compared to C++. And with the complexity of current game development project...simplicity in your language can only help.

Hope that help clear some things up. Ive written simple games in both languages. The C# program was about 4% slower than my C++ programs. You can judge for yourself if that is a major problem. If you are truly interested...check out documents about Managed DirectX, which is kinda DirectX for C# (it works with VB and C++ too).

Happy coding!

The biggest problem from a professional game maker''s standpoint is that you can''t use it on PS2/GC/XBox. If you''re only making PC games then I''ll leave it to everyone else to sort out...

-John

quote:
Original post by boebi
but computers are becomming so fast that it doesnt matter, or at least it won''t matter soon in the future.

- I don''t think this is generally true. Any heavy-weight engine benefits from all the extra-time it saves, as there''s always room for more (Graphics, AI, Audio, whatever-I-don''t-know-about). I don''t think Doom3 or Unreal3 can suffer a 10% performance loss.

- For indie games though, that''d be true for the most part (no heavy-weight stuff most of the time)

- Many people don''t have the money to keep updating their PCs.

Muhammad Haggag,
Optimize
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

Obviously platform dependence is an issue. Even for Widows games, we don''t *especially* want people to have to install the .NET framework (although it''s not a big problem). Other platforms either don''t have .NET, or don''t have usable .NET

I use advanced features of C++ which C# doesn''t have. That doesn''t mean you can''t do those things in C#, just you have to do them a different way.

I''m sure the performance of C# is not a major issue. In any case, even if you did feel that it wasn''t fast enough, you could always rewrite the *really* time-critical routines in unmanaged C++ and just call them from C#. That would probably only be a small proportion of the code. Calling between C++ and C# isn''t *that* hard (although slightly harder than from C# to C# or C++ to C++ obviously)

Mark

probably the best way is to develop games using c++ and to create utilities (level editors, package editor etc.) using c#.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

Thank you again for sharing the knowledge with me guys.

I was wondering if there is any recent game came out in C# in the market or is there will be any comming soon.
One more issue is that if Microsft will be doing anything about it i mean they released Managed Direct X and If i am not wrong the DX samples has a complete game demo written in C++ but no C# . Do you guys think they are going to do something about it i mean are they making any games or giving contract to other game companies to create games in C#, How about XBox will we see any C# made games for XBox.

anyways thanks for reading and giving your time to read my posts and commenting on it .

Attitude is one thing which makes a big difference.

Here's a thought:

C# is much faster to learn and use than c++, and for beginners the 3% (or so) speed difference doesn't matter (and that's with c# and optimized c++). Managed DirectX is much "nicer" that unmanaged DirectX (COM?) so it adds to the ease of learning. Tao and other OpenGL libs for c# means that you can learn to use OGL as well.
Then after you have made your first game in c# you can look into porting it to c++.
All the stuff that goes into a game is the same in both c# and c++ (Game loop, AI, scene graph, input handling, rendering etc). The difference is how each function is coded. So by learning how to make a game in c# you also learn how to make a game in c++.. You only need to learn how the individual functions should be written in c++. Oh, and how to use garbage collection, (smart) pointers and managers and probably a lot more you don't need to think about in c#.

Note: One reason to learn in c++ is that there are a lot more tutorials and books for c++ than c#, but it's not that hard to look at c++ code and understand how it can be done in c#.

Nomz, I'm pretty sure that the next version of the DX SDK will have a lot more samples for c#.

[edited by - frostburn on April 16, 2004 10:15:47 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why so many people think that no great games can be written with Java and C#? Because the Internet is full of wannabe c++ elitists with attitude problems pronoucing their opinions based on no first hand experience. They judge the languages with opinions similar to these:

-Java 1.1 was slow, so Java must still be slow
-Java applets suck, so Java must suck
-C# sucks because I hate Microsoft
-No way C# or Java can be used for quality games because no AAA game has been made with it yet

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!