What's Wrong with C#

Started by
106 comments, last by Mayrel 19 years, 11 months ago
C# is bad because Microsoft makes it. Plus, it isn''t the language we are used to, which is another reason not to try it.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by PlayGGY
C# is bad because Microsoft makes it. Plus, it isn''t the language we are used to, which is another reason not to try it.

Since this is GD, and I don''t know you, I''m actually not able to discern whether this sarcasm or not.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
quote:Original post by PlayGGY
C# is bad because Microsoft makes it. Plus, it isn't the language we are used to, which is another reason not to try it.

Since this is GD, and I don't know you, I'm actually not able to discern whether this sarcasm or not.

It was extremely sarcastic. That should be obvious, but I definitely see where you are coming from, considering some of the posts here...

[edited by - PlayGGY on April 17, 2004 9:19:46 PM]
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
C# is a very NICE language. There are some small performance issues with the delegating system used, but it is mute under only the most pressuring apps. In addition, as one mentioned before you can still write the extreemly time critical code in C++ if your worried about it, but the 5-10% you will save is not necessaraly going to outweigh the MAJOR production gains (of that which most will not argue).
C# is not, as some believe, limited to Windows. The spec is out and there is a compiler availiable for linux (and possably other systems, im not for sure). As well as a usable .NET. The only problem at the moment is the code that relies on the Forms API is not cross-compatable. If only someone would create cross-platform code-common alternatives, we would be all set.
quote:Original post by PaulCesar
C# is not, as some believe, limited to Windows. The spec is out and there is a compiler availiable for linux (and possably other systems, im not for sure).
Mono (Linux, Unix, Windows), dotGNU (Linux, OS X, Windows, PocketPC).

quote:The only problem at the moment is the code that relies on the Forms API is not cross-compatable. If only someone would create cross-platform code-common alternatives, we would be all set.
Gtk#, Qt#.

I wish more people would take an interest in Scheme :-)
quote:Original post by PeterTarkus

Give it time, languages are slowly morphing to Lisp anyway
quote:Original post by PeterTarkus

We studied that in my uni course. Such a cool language. Also did Prolog as well.
--------------------------A good discussion is like a miniskirt; Short enough to pertain interest and long enough to cover the subject..
Have you even tried to compile a .NET application on Linux? Mono et al are shit, and don''t support enough to run even the most rudimentary .NET applications without modification. And with Microsoft free to change whatever it wants on whim, and encouraging the use of Windows-specific .NET frameworks, only a complete moron can believe .NET applications will ever be cross-platform compatible.

If you care AT ALL about writing for platforms other than Windows, or if you want your code to be able to run 10 years from now, then stick with an industry standard language. .NET, and C# in particular, is defined by Microsoft, supported fully only on Windows, and evolving too rapidly for stable application development.

That''s why no one writing commercial software is using it. Or ever will. End of story.
As a programmer I really enjoy doing things low-level. Every programmer should know how the CPU works and how C++ is compiled, it lets you write SO much more efficient programs. High level things are fine for office apps but not games.

I don''t mind having a program windows only though. Thats why I use DirectX! Its the most common demographic and works really well. Why would you want to make a crummy XBox game or a linux app that 5 people will use.

I still use VB6 for a lot of things even thought I hate it. C# should hav a lot lot of uses for other aspects of game development.

"C# is bad because Microsoft makes it"
lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement