• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PartyOmNi

Matrices

This topic is 5177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m a college student taking linear algebra at the moment. I suck at math, but I''m coping with it so I can program games. The question is, I understand matrices, but I have no clue what the application of most of these mathematics is for. ie...) scalar multiplication --> used for making a line longer. can someone help me what the use for all these non-sense is. I am suffering big time because I have no clue what linear transformation is all about, or what spanned sets are and such. Thank you!

Advertisement
sorry guys, I was being a lamer and didn''t search before I posted. I have found some interesting stuff in the search @ gamedev.net. Sorry for wasting your time.

Mostly, you use matrices to transform vectors around a 3D scene. For instance, say you have a "point" represented by some vector [x, y, z, w] and you want to rotate it around or translate it or scale it. You are able to create a matrix that will multiply with your vector or "point" to move it in different ways.

Check out the matrix articles on this site in the "Articles and Resources" section if you havent done so already. They really do a great job explaining what all that linear algebra crap is for.

I just got out of my college linear algebra class, so I know that they dont really show you any applications to what you are learning. Trust me...you WILL need it later

Happy coding!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!