• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robotarcade

ID3DXSprite Interface Tutorials (DirectX 9)?

This topic is 5239 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am unable to find any tutorials on ID3DXSprite and DirectX 9. The SDK documentation doesn''t completely explain usage, the online tutorial I found is mostly about making a DirectX 8 wrapper for the ID3DXSprite interface, and neither of my two books seem to even mention it (2D in Direct3D and Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days). Are there any good tutorials and/or books on the subject?

Advertisement
I would just try searching this forum for ''ID3DXSprite''. You should find tons of answers, since there have been tons of questions asked about this interface.

Here''s one for DirectX 8:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010629/geczy_pfv.htm

and the MSDN pages for DX9:

ID3DXSprite Interface

One bad mistake Microsoft made was to change the interface between DX8 and DX9. Now ID3DXSprite::Draw takes just 5 parameters instead of 7, and you be able to get all the information on the Draw function from the MSDN site above or the DX9 docs.

Glad to see you seem to have got the hang of the fact that it''s an interface, it took me a frustrated "ID3DXSprite is so slow with lots of sprites" before I realised you didn''t need one ID3DXSprite object per sprite!!!

Good luck with it, since i''m currently working on a project using it, if you need any help then just ask.

Stay Clausal,

Red Sodium

Guest Anonymous Poster
Have you looked in the examples directory that came with the SDK? There''s about a billion good tutuorials in there.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!