• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLUT and too blury textures - suggestions please

This topic is 5062 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm doing a flightsim and I come across this rather ugly feature I wonder if any posters can suggest quickest, easiest way to resolve it... trilinear filtering and mipmapping is on. ughhh - pretty horrid eh? had similar problems when trying to do race tracks in the past. what is solution? this is with filtering turned off. looks best i think at low level - but it looks rotten beyond measure when upon high and when over the grass it looks squared and pixelated. [edited by - kindfluffysteve on April 16, 2004 9:52:59 AM]

Advertisement
Well, you could tile a piece of the runway texture many times down the runway to get a high resolution. Or you could model the white lines as seperate polygons and render them right on top of the runway (same with the number). Or, as a quick fix, you could keep trilinear filter for min filter, but choose nearest for the max filter.

-Madgap

cheers thanks a lot!

crude, but effective - my ideal solution.

for anybody else who comes across this sort of thing:

case txTrilinear: glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
// always mip mapping for trilinear

Mipping = TRUE;
break;

case txRoad: glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
// always mip mapping for trilinear

Mipping = TRUE;
break;

[edited by - kindfluffysteve on April 16, 2004 10:29:53 AM]

Just use a higher resolution texture. The filter can''t give more detail than is already there. Also, use anisotropic filtering.

• Advertisement