Heightmap in isometric game

Started by
3 comments, last by Indeterminatus 20 years ago
I was wondering how it would be possible to create some kind of terrain as Settlers II had it in a tile-based 2D game. Would I use a heightmap and render the terrain using voxels? Or would I store height information for each edge of a tile? Any comments or suggestions on what I could do a search are appreciated! Indeterminatus --si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Advertisement
Right now, Voxels are too CPU intensive for game because they cannot be 3D accelerated. You need to implement some kind of polyong terrain renderer.

Check out

ROAM Tutorial

CLOD PDF
I strongly advise against heightmaps in a isometric game, because they tend to waste a lot of polygons. Instead, I suggest that you look into a real level solution.

Of course, a heightmap could play a part of it, but other than that, it is a "cheap" solution, because it is easy. Try looking into 3ds files.

I myself am doing a 3rd person game, and found heightmaps really worthless. You have a ton of useless vertices on screen all the time, and you have very little control over it.
Thank you for your replies. I''ll have a closer look on those thingies

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
settlers 2 maps appeared to be built from equilateral triangles, FYI. with a heightvalue for each vertex. pretty cool engine now that i think of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement