Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++ in VS.NET???

This topic is 5024 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering... if I create a new Visual C++ Win32 Project (New Project>Visual C++ Projects>Win32>Win32Project) in Visual Studio .NET, and compile my code, the executable doesn''t require the .NET Framework to run on right? Is it just as if I compiled this code in VS6? And the only time I need the .NET framework to run my C++ code is if I made a C++.NET application right? Just wondering if compiling this way will be the same as if I''m compiling in VS6 (then I can completely just stick to one version of visual studio) Thanks in advance! Fishy

Yeah C++ and Managed C++ are quite different as far as the strategy you use to create an application. You shouldn''t have any problem using VS.Net for your traditional C++ programming, as long as you don''t use Managed C++. If you want to take advantage of the .Net framework I''d suggest C#, as it is somewhat cleaner and more elegant than C++, and is specifically designed for use with .Net.

Snowman | Ardaxus | Nathan
---------------------------------
Tangle - Persistent World Toolkit
tangle.netlab.com.au

Hi, so if I create a C++ Win32 project in VS.NET, it will be my traditional unmanaged C++ right? And if I create a C++.NET project it will be... well managed now

But yeah, I''ve actually been using C# for the past 2 years at work, but I like to work on stuff in C++ @ home so I can keep both fresh in my mind (even though it takes quite a bit more effort to make stuff happen in C++)