• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D cartoon tools

This topic is 5054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi what program did LucasArts use to draw the graphics for broken sword 1 and 2? i want to create a game with similar graphics, but i dont know which tool i should use. Ive got paint shop pro, but animating in it isn''t the easiest thing to do, and i dont know if onion skinning is easily accessible. basically, i want to create cartoon-like graphics (not cel shaded) like in BS 1 and 2. any ideas which tools i should look out for? thanks

Advertisement
you could try www.cosmigo.com/promotion its an old dpaint clone from the amiga days..it has animation and a light table(onion skinning)its a pretty low level pixelsmith it works fine

Shockwave Flash is generally a good tool for creating 2d-animation. Go to shockwave.com and check out some of their examples, I like _Radiskull and Devil Doll_ myself. Other than that Adobe Illustrator is good for vector graphics and gradient meshes, but I don''t think it does animation.

if i make something in flash, can i export it to a format that can be loaded to make a game? i thought flash was juse web specific?
i looked at promotion, but for a ''site'' license, it cost $1999. however, i want to make shareware games, so would i have to be a ''site'' license or a ''single'' license, bearing in mind that i am going to use it for commercial purposes?

A single license should be fine for Flash, and yes, it can export to a number of image formats. Also, LucasArts didn''t do Broken Sword 1/2; Rebellion, a British company, did, and they used Photoshop for the processing of the character art, but most likely drew the art by hand.

Really, Flash isn''t a tool to do what you''re looking for; it''s not good for it at all. You really need a scanner and a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, which is much cheaper than Photoshop and almost as good, to color/shader the 2D line drawings you''ve done by hand then scanned in.

-Nick "digisoap" Robalik
Web & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Design
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
nick@digital-soabox.com

cool thanks. i have a scanner and full version of PSP. photoshop is too expensive does that mean i have to draw each frame of the characters by hand in the cutscene and stuff?

On a side note: Broken Sword is not made by LucasArts =D

---------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don''t

lol my bad. i was thinking of Day Of The Tentacle as well, so i just put Lucas Arts down :D
thanks

also,how much is that Toonz product? i tried searching on the site but couldnt find anything im assuming its expensive though...

[edited by - loplop on April 23, 2004 5:32:34 AM]

quote:
Original post by loplop

...also,how much is that Toonz product? i tried searching on the site but couldnt find anything im assuming its expensive though...

I don't know exactly how much it costs, but if they don't list the price on the site, you bet its VERY expensive. I'm guessing $6,000+. That would put in line with XSI and few of their other products.

[edited by - yspotua on April 23, 2004 4:38:01 PM]

• Advertisement